Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

camcorder problems

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by hegemann, Jul 22, 2002.

1. hegemann

hegemann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a digital camcorder - JVC GR-DVF21U.
    I bought it in Dec 1999, and it has worked perfectly until now.
    When I try to playback footage on my camcorder, I get no audio or video; just the blue screen. I have tried using a head cleaner, but that didn't work.

This is my first post, so I am not sure if this is the right forum for this. If not, I apologize, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for a troubleshooting forum.
    I wont go into details until I find out if I am in the right place.

I just don't want to spend $200 for service for a camera I bought for $800, and I can now probably buy a comparable new one for $600.

Thanks.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Stating the obvious, have you checked your connections and cables, a blue mute screen suggests no signal as you know.
    Obviously, nothing appears in your viewfinder.
    A professional head cleaning is more efficient than the run-through items sold, would this be $100?
    Try buying a new tape, playing it through, visual searching fast forward and fast rewind (from play without pressing stop) for ten minutes or so, maybe that will dislodge stubborn oxide deposits.
    Try a store with on-site service, most offer a refund of service deposit if repairs uneconomical, providing you buy from them. Though of course, it may work out cheaper elsewhere anyway.
    If you do need expensive repairs, probably it's better to buy a new model, as you say.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got exaclt the same problem with my Sony PC100E digicam.

I was prepping for my holiday by laying dow ntime code on some new tapes I'd bought. When I tried to play them back to check I got sever pixilation and then blue screen. This happened with all the dozen tapes I have. I checked the tapes on somebody else's camcorder and they play fine so its not the tapes. I also checked the newly recorded stuff and they were fine - so the recording heads seem OK.

After posting on here, someone suggested a head cleaner. Doh! Why didn't I think of that .

Anyway, wandered down to the Sony Centre (nobody else seemed to ahve them) and handed over my £12.99.

Cleaned the heads, played back the tapes and they looked fine.

went on hols. Was showing somebody some footage while on hols and the pixelation returned.

Now I need to run through the head cleaner again. If this doesn't work its off to the doctors for a strip clean :)

I suggest you try the same - head cleaner, then the doctors.

Old digicams suffered from this apparently, also the older tapes weren't as good and could have left debris on the heads.

here's hoping we both solve the problem

4. hegemann

hegemann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Graham, I guess I might have to take it to the doctor because my tape cleaner is not producing results.
    (It did momentarily).

But first I will try the advice of gringottsdirect.

I will let you know either way. Let me know how yours turns out.