• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Camcorder poor battery life - Is this normal?

Povester

Standard Member
Hi, looking to get a camcorder for a future holiday. So far have only really looked in Comet (Just started search). Little concerned by how low the battery life is advised for the devices. Several state 40min, some 60min. Is this normal/correct?

I've got roughly just over £200 to spend so would like to get a camera that has good battery life and is a good performer.

One anomoly I've found is the Sony DCRSX30ES which is stated as having a batt life of 780min - Why is this so extreme compared to the competitors.

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Tinderbox (UK)

13 hours with the optional battery , not the one supplied , and then you would still be very luck to get anyway near 13 hours.

So it looks like you get aroud an 1H40M with the battery supplied , not very good for a 2 watt power usage, Samsung gets around 3H with their sd camcorders

******************************************************************************************************

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/sdh-s...emory-stick/dcr-sx30e#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

Power Consumption : LCD (W) 2

Continuous Recording Time with Supplied Battery and LCD backlight off (min) 100

Max. Continuous Recording Time with Optional Battery and LCD backlight off (min) 785

EDIT : times quoted with "LCD backlight off" , so how do you see the screen , do they not mean low or standard?

Last edited:

Povester

Standard Member
Thanks Tinderbox. Looks like some 'Creative' write-up for the Sony camera then. I was intrigued why they could post such massively different life times.

Will take a look at Samsungs offerings. The HMX-R10 looks interesting, although assume if you record in HD the batt life plummets.

Tinderbox (UK)

It`s only the standard definition Samsungs have the 3H battery life , most HD camcorders have around an 1H40 min battery life or less with the supplied battery.

The best SD camcorder i have had is the JVC 'GZ-MG430 at around £200 , it beats the SD samsung and panasonic for picture quality, I know i bought them, battery life 1H40M.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom