Camcorder Panny tm10 to pc via HDMI

TheShadowman

Hi All

I am having a mind block here. I have set my TM10 up to connect to my PC via the HDMI cable. The problem is, I don't know where to look for the picture, and it doesn't seem to appear automatically.

Question 1. I regularly do this connection with my TV by selecting the correct AV, should I be able to do with the PC too.
Question 2. If I can do this with the PC, where do I look for the picture.

I know it sounds dumb, but I am stumped.
BTW it's a new PC all singing all dancing etc.

Thank in advance

rogs

Normally - unless you have a dedicated HDMI 'capture card' fitted to the PC? - the only HDMI connector on your PC will be an output, for connection to a display monitor (or TV). So you don't want to be connecting your camcorder to that output!
Hopefully, you won't have done any damage to the HDMI port on the camcorder.....like the poster in this thread may have done... mini hdmi blown? | AVForums

TheShadowman

Thanks Rogs

I have two HDMI ports. One is marked "HDMI" and the other one is marked "display port".

What would the "HDMI" port be used for if not input?

Thanks

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
A common misunderstood issue.

The TV has a hdmi input socket, it also has HDCP copy protection.

Your Camcorder and PC has a HDMI output socket. It's a one way connection Source PC/Camcorder/Media Player/ Freesat-HD/Box/Blu-ray Player/SD source with upscaling to HD/Android/IOS box etc.

Destination has to be a display device like a TV or a HD monitor.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thanks Rogs

I have two HDMI ports. One is marked "HDMI" and the other one is marked "display port".

Thanks
The HDMI port marked HDMI is a convenience to allow you to connect a device with HDMI output to the PC HDMI input (Marked HDMI) using a single cable from the PC to a display device. The PC is simply acting as a HDMI source switch which you can buy very cheaply.

eg

5 PORT HDMI SWITCH SELECTOR SPLITTER HUB + iR REMOTE 1080P FOR HDTV 3D | eBay

Last edited:

rogs

Thanks Rogs

Thanks
As Graham has already advised, both the Display Port and HDMI ports are outputs on your PC..... Which you use will depend on the kind of monitor and/or TV you have connected as your PC display.
Connect your camcorder to the PC via USB... or better still (IMHO) remove the card, and use a card reader..

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

Shouldn't that read 'connect a device 'with HDMI input' rather than 'with HDMI output' Graham?...
Oops of course will sort it

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Incidentally the XBOX One has the same capability (To pass an external HDMI source to the display using the single cable from the XBOX one to the TV. In this case though you can simply use voice control to switch the input source.

Despite being a pensioner, I have a grandson with this console who spends a lot of time here.

Emerton

Are some HDMI ports described as 'display ports' then? I have not come across it and thought 'display port' was an Apple thing, if the term is used for HDMI on some PC's/cards it might be useful to know. Thanks in advance.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Are some HDMI ports described as 'display ports' then? I have not come across it and thought 'display port' was an Apple thing, if the term is used for HDMI on some PC's/cards it might be useful to know. Thanks in advance.
It's a somewhat obscure way of describing an output port ( Output means sending the video to a device that can you can use to watch the content)

Display port means the port is designed to send the output to a display device. Normally a TV but could be a monitor that may not have any audio capability.

Emerton

I'm sorry to labour the point, but at work we are getting more and more people with laptops that have no VGA/D-sub outputs (which the lecture room projector patch panels require), if some manufacturers are calling HDMI output sockets 'DisplayPorts' it would be handy to know, Macs seem to change every day!
DisplayPort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rogs

Emerton

Thanks, that is a very useful link. We do our best to accommodate visitors but if we had all the sockets and adapters that we might need, we probably would never be able to find them anyway :)

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The difference between Display Port and HDMI is simple. Manufacturers pay a licence to use HDMI, but display port is free to implement.

Display port is designed for computer use, so supports different formats as well as HDMI. In a lot of ways, it is closer to DVI in terms of connectivity. It can also support multiple monitors from one DP output, which can be very useful.

Mini DP connectors found on Macs and some PCs are much more robust than mini HDMI as well we have found.

The main issue we find at work is that Display Port and HDMI connectors look very similar at first glance. All our work HP laptops have Display Port, so our meeting rooms are equipped with these cables. When a supplier or visitor turns up with an HDMI enabled laptop, they find the connector won't quite fit. Some of them are forceful enough to damage the connector on their laptop trying to wedge it in!

The good news is, DP and HDMI are both well supported, so there are plenty of cables and adapters about.

One word of caution, HDMI cables can be used either way round, while DP cannot. This is a good thing, as plugging a DP output into another DP output will cause no damage - unlike the possibility of HDMI where the possibility of damage remains. The bad news is, buy an HDMI - DP cable and you might find it won't work, as you actually required a DP - HDMI cable!

MarkE19

Another advantage of Display Port is that the cable locks into the graphics card, so is far more secure than HDMI which has no locking feature and can therefore be easily pulled out by accident.
So as noiseboy72 says the DP is far more like DVI in this respect, and it also carries both HDMI & VGA (via an active adapter) video signals the same as DVI-I, but unlike DVI it does also support audio.

So as also said you can't plug an HDMI cable into a Display Port socket - well you can force it but it wont work :facepalm:

Mark.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Audio over DVI is possible, some later PC sound cards support it. It's not normal though.

MarkE19

True, but it is not officially supported.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom