1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder Not Recognised

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by asimmd, Dec 13, 2004.

1. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All
    My camcorder is a rather ancient JVC GR-DVL355E. All attempts to get software to recognise that this is connected to the computer have failed.
    I downloaded a USB driver for it but,it is still not recognised.
    Any suggestions appreciated,including Bin it and buy a more modern one.
    Thanks
    Alan

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well I can't find any info on the JVC GR-DVL355E, but as you say you have a USB driver for it I assume it is a DV camcorder.

If it is then to get the PC to recognise it you need to connect it to the PC via firewire. You cannot download the footage via USB at full quality.

For loads of info on firewire and getting footage onto the PC do a search on this forum for 'firewire' and you will have enough reading to take you all the way to Christmas (2006 :devil: ).

If you need any more help then feel free to ask.

Mark.

3. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Mark,and thanks for the reply.I didn't know it wouldn't speak to the computer except via firewire.I have ordered firewire kit and will fit it this weekend.
    I couldn't find any info for this model either,the driver comes from drivers.net site,but it did not work.It dosen't have the facility to record video back to itself,so maybe it's time to upgrade?
    From research Iv'e done I think it's 3 years old?
    Cheers
    Alan

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Being able to record back to the camcorder is a nice feature to have, but is not needed. Don't feel you need to upgrade just for DV-in or because the cam is 3 years old. My TRV-900e is is about 5 years old and still going strong, only the new HD cams are making me think (and I stress 'think') about upgrading. But that would mean upgrading the PC for HD editing as well so would be very expensive and beyong the scope of my wallet at the moment :rolleyes:

Mark.

5. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Mark
    I'm still going to try it again when I have fitted the Firewire kit,what software would you recommend, considering I have never done this before,but I learn quite quickly,so nothing to simple.
    Cheers
    Alan

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well if you have Windows XP on the PC then you already have a very good editing program installed called Movie Maker. Just make sure you have all the updates for XP and this will give you MM2 that is a huge improvement over the origional version. Just about all you need to know about Movie Maker 2 can be found at www.papajohn.org
    If you have any other version of Windows then look at software from Ulead, Pinnacle & Sony amoungst others. Most of their web sites will have trial versions of the software that can be downloaded so you can try it before spending any money.

Mark.

7. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the help Mark.
    I do have XP on the computer,and all the updates,I will need to check what version Movie Maker I have.
    A friend is lending me Pinnacle 9.3,so software wise I am pretty much sorted.
    All I have to do now is wait until Friday so I can try and put it all together.
    If you knew why I wanted to do this, you wouldn't believe me.
    Look out for more basic questions soon.I guess I'll get stuck again........
    Now what did it say about compression rates?????
    Cheers
    Alan

8. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i used to have a jvc dvl357 a few years back, not a bad little cam except the deck which kept misaligning. which is a MAJOR problem. anyway....

the usb cable on that camera was simply for transferring jpegs from the still shot mode to the pc. unlike the sony's its simply not capable of putting ANY picture down that (for the best, as some people with sony cams think it'll be as good as firewire.. its not even worth thinking about!) should be recognised by any editing suite when its all connected.

9. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Guys
    Success,connected everything up and Hey Presto,Magic,downloaded holiday video from 2 years ago.
    One thing,when trying to preview film in Movie Maker,it stops after about 2/3 seconds playback,any ideas?
    Thanks Again
    Regards
    Alan

10. TEAL

TEAL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all , hope you can help on this one.JVC camcorder gr-dvl 9500 connected to Windows xp and by a firewire.Also using Windows movie maker.It has worked well until recently and now at a stage it comes up Class not recognised.When i connect to the pc on My Computer it shows the camcorder.Open up moviemaker with cam'on and it will rewind tape having done that it nows shows the "class" thing instead of capturing video sequence.In desperation i have even bought REGCURE but it still does not operate .What next guy's?>:lesson:

11. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
  12. TEAL

TEAL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for advice however i could not open the program to use it, where it say's download it does not respond.