Camcorder not recognised - driver issues

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by benny269, Jun 16, 2009.

1. benny269

benny269
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a JVC GR-DX107 camcorder and a large stock of MiniDV tapes full of holiday footage and capturing this to my computer seems to be the hardest trick in the world. I've tried following (almost nonexistent) Help and Support for the instruction manuals, online support page (if you can call it that here) and telephone support ("Its obviously the PCs fault") to no avail.

I know that I am supposed to connect the device first, then let the PC detect new hardware and then follow instructions to search for software from the CD in the drive. I've done this a few times and every time the process completes, it simply detects new hardware and I go through the whole cycle again and at no point does my PC recognise the device for what it is.

The PC runs on Windows XP and I just want to use Windows Move Maker to do some simple editing but I'm being directed to install the included software ImageMixer since I am told that I have to use this software in order to capture any video in the first place. I guess I'll edit it in Movie Maker once I've captured the video but I really just want to keep it simple. I'm not bad with computers so I have tried fiddling with the drivers under Device Manager and the like but I know next to nothing about AV stuff so I don't know.

Help appreciated.

2. topmonkeyboy

topmonkeyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Hi,dont know if you have had any luck but I have managed to track down the drivers for the camcorder!(I have the same camera).Go here JVC PIX-MC10 Video Capture Driver Download
    I chose the free version(you have to click through 6-7 adds but the driver works!You have to install the 2 drivers manually and seperately(audio and video).Have not yet captured any video but at least Imagemixer has recognised the camera.Hope this helps:)

3. benny269

benny269
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I've since managed to get my Driver CD working but I appreciate you taking the time to find them for me. Next time I'll just get them directly from there. I can't believe JVC have such a poor system for customer service. I've gotten going in Movie Maker. Yay! Good luck with yours.

4. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    To be fair, they're there to sort out problems with cameras, not computer problems.

5. topmonkeyboy

topmonkeyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If JVC sell you a camera and fail to provide a driver so it will be recognised by your pc(which or me is a selling point of the camera) and then also fail to make a driver available is that a pc problem or JVCs problem?
    I would say that JVC(or indeed any company that you have purchased equipment from) should do there best to help you with any problems that you may have with said equipment,instead of laying the blame with you(or your pc).:mad:

6. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    As we're not privy to the conversation that took place between the OP and JVC customer service, we can't really make claims about who or what was held to blame. For all we know, JVC customer service did "do their (sic) best" to help.

As anyone who has had to deal with driver issues in Windows knows, it can be a right pain in the proverbial, and far from intuitive. And the OP eventually managed to successfully install the driver supplied by JVC on CD.

If I was in a better mood, I'd leave it at that. But since I'm not, I'll add that the world sure would be a better place if people stopped blaming anybody or everybody else for every tiny thing that goes wrong. Ask someone who has had their camcorder repaired by JVC (you can find such threads here if you can be bothered with a search), and they'll tell you their customer service is pretty berloody good.

7. benny269

benny269
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I did manage to solve (what turned out to be a relatively simple) problem, I certainly did encounter at least 2 tech support advisors whose advice did not go beyond "Please uninstall and reinstall the drivers". I certainly take your point on board Andrew, and taking it further I also think many cases found in forums like these are polarised views - a successfully solved problem makes tech support good else it is bad - but its not that simple.

There should be a middle ground where a tech support dept for a company as big as JVC (which is just one example here) whose advice goes beyond reinstalling drivers. I understand the employees point of view too for whom it must be irritating to have to deal with difficult customers each with a completely different PC setup but I for one expect a more concerted effort and in order to do so these companies need (as no doubt they already do) have a better understanding of their products' performance in the real world. If they can't do that then why not at the very least, set up a support forum (not unlike this one) where people can post 'other' unresolved issues and the techies (both employed and fanatic) be encouraged to help solve them. Set up a reward system. I just hate having a 2 minute conversation with some of these people ending with the words "Sorry, its the PC.....nothing to do with us." That's just laziness.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    But it must be mentioned that a digital camcorder connected to a PC via firewire does not require any drivers. All required drivers for firewire are part of the Windows install since Win98se and therefore any issues with connecting it to a PC are a PC issue and not the fault of JVC. Yes it could be a hardware fault with the camcorder, but just telling JVC it doesn't work is not being fair to them. You need to do some diagnostics first before asking them to sort it out!

Mark.

9. benny269

benny269
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great for Firewire users Mark, but this - as is more often the case in my experience - was an issue regarding a USB connection.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    But USB is not the way to get video off a miniDV camcorder and onto a PC. USB transfer just does not carry a full quality signal from tape to PC. The only way to get the full quality video onto a PC is via firewire.

Mark.

11. benny269

benny269
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah ok, I understand your point now. I wasn't aware of this and as a fairly amateur videographer, I only ever document family outings and events and since most camcorders are supplied with a USB cable I think many people, like me, will adopt that transfer method. Even if it isn't ideal (why don't the manufacturers sell their goods with Firewire cables in addition and encourage their use?!).

12. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    There must be a licensing reason that prevents manufacturers from including a firewire cable - they're never supplied with the camera.

I doubt that most people assume that USB is the best way to transfer video - not the "most people" who actually read the manual, that is . . . ;)

The USB option for mini-DV camcorders is for stills and low-resolution video only.

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    And how many BluRay players are supplied with an HDMI cable?
    How many printers are supplied with a USB (or parallel) cable?
    How many speakers are supplied with speaker cable?
    etc
    etc
    etc

I think supplied cables are often the exception rather than normal, but I do see your point when they do supply a USB cable but not firewire.

Mark.

14. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Im pretty sure that it states that firewire is the ideal way in the manual

Saying that, with non Tape camcorders where USB is the norm I often find it annoying that these kit cannot be made USB mass storage devices, often needing drivers..:(

Makes a Case for Flash card based designs and USB card readers:rolleyes: