1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder in a vehicle with large vibrations

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by se99paj, Oct 31, 2004.

1. se99paj

se99paj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to install some bullet cameras inside a vehicle and am concerned about the vibrations affecting the video footage. I was under the assumption that if I rigidly attach the cameras to the vehicle then the camera will be vibrating at the same as the vehicle so the footage will not be affected, but I have been told that I will need to mount the cameras using some kind of dampening to reduce the vibration but I believe any kind of dampening will cause the camera to vibrate and create problems with the video footage.

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I would mount the camera in a sponge and tape the sponge to the car. That way there is no diret contact withe the vehicle. Vibrations not only show up on camera but can also cause the picture to seriously breakup.

3. se99paj

se99paj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cameras are recoring to a rugged digital video recorder, so I'm hoping the vibrations won't affect the quality of the footage, I'm more concerned with the bullet camera itself.

I don't think I will be able to tape the camera to a sponge, the setup is for a military vehicle so it needs to be very robust.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    se99paj

I'm guessing you'll have to look at isolation/clamping for both your 'Bullet' camera's and your VTR.

Whenever your doing this type of thing you either need to buy into a proven solution (often quite costly) - or do a lot of trail and error before you go for a 'final fix'.

Here are a couple of 'solutions' that may be of interest:

http://www.cinekinetic.com/invention/index.html

http://www.cruisecam.com/mounts.html

I've bolted these onto trains before - http://www.pulnix.com/Imaging/Released/c-c7dsp.html; not cheap though!!!

Best regards

Joe

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    That last links a dud.

6. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Bullet cams are very light. Duck tape will hold almost anything and you can place it allmost anywhere.

But good luck.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    BadAss

Try - http://www.pulnix.com/ > Imaging Products > Products > Video Standard Colour > TMC-7

Best regards

Joe

8. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    two schools of thought:

1: affix the camera solidly to the vehicle, then you get a vehicles eye view, no shakes other than from the occupants

2: affix the camera to the driver, to give a drivers eye view, emphasising the rugged ness of the terrian etc.

Option 1 would look technically better

Option 2 would be more interesting and as the camera is not fixed you get a variety of shots and views.

IN EITHER CASE ALLOW A COUPLE OF FEET OF SLACK BETWEEN THE CAMERA and where you start taping down the cable, the same applies with the deck.