Camcorder for Sahara desert motorbike tour

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by 110003762, Jan 29, 2009.

1. 110003762

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am heading off on a week long off-road motorbike trek through Morocco in April, spending several nights camping in the Sahara. I am looking for a rugged camcorder i can carry with me to capture some of the trip that will not break due to the sand and being knocked about a bit (although if i do fall off at any speed i understand nothing is likely to survive intact! :thumbsdow)

I have done some internet research and about the only two that fit the bill are the Panasonic SDR SW20 or older SW10, or the Sanyo Xacti VPC CA8. However reading some of the reviews i am worried that the quality of the footage will be very poor and so be more of a hindrance dragging the camera with me. Can anyone comment on how bad the quality is?

I have also just seen the Xacti VPC CA9 that i think is HD and due for release soon. Does anyone know if this camera will be any better?

I don't own a camcorder at the moment so want to buy something that is likely to be used as a 'normal' camcorder after the trip so i do not waste my money.

Any comments or thoughts really appreciated....
    Alex

2. 110003762

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump.......just one last try to see if nyone has any opinions on the Panasonic SDR SW20,or Sanyo Xacti VPC CA8 / CA9? Or are they so bad that no one out there has ever used one??!!

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Not " bad" Simply not "mainstream"...:)
    I wouldn't buy one though