1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder for coaching tennis.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by nojh007, Jan 11, 2005.

1. nojh007

nojh007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope the collective experience of the forum can help me with this one.

I am looking to purchase a digital camcorder for coaching tennis. Obviously it needs to be capable of working on a nice summers day outdoors and I expect that is not too much of a challenge for modern equipment. Where I think there is more of a challenge is indoors where sadly in the UK all our winter training is done. The lighting is not always the best in sports halls, you know the sort of thing, low light levels often with a horrible yellow tint etc etc.

Budget is rather tight (under £500) but some flexiblity for the right product.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Canons (MV7xx) & Panasonics (GS11, GS15) all have a manual shutter (set to a higher speed for slo-mo playback without blur, say 1/250th of a second or even higher if the picture doesn't become too dark), manual focus (auto focus will never stay sharp during a game of tennis, it's one more thing for you to set up, but if you want good results...) and manual white ballance (the camera can be set to daylight for outdoors, or tungsten if under flodlighting, if you are under say, strip lighting, you can set a white ballance off of a white t-shirt or white wall to adjust how the camera records the light)
    and so should cover all bases. You'll also need a half decent tripod, a cam will cost you about £300-350 in the sales just now (Panasonic GS15 or Canon MV700i) so you've enough to spend £70 on a branded tripod, ask for one with a fluid pan and tilt head.

3. nojh007

nojh007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roy,

Thanks for the straightforward answer. I know what to look for now and I had not thought about the tripod bit. If I find the next Tim Henman I will let you all know (I wish) and post a video clip :)

Nojh