• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Camcorder for a 10 yr old YouTuber?

BrookyG

Novice Member
Hi Everyone,

We're new around these parts and seeking some advice!

My 10 Year Old son wants a Camera or Camcorder that can do picture in picture, so he can record and upload his YouTube videos :). Can someone recommend an adequate device, that's not too expensive, complicated and will do the job?

Thanks for your help and sorry if this has been asked before.

BG

Terfyn

The only PIP camcorders I know are at the top of the Panasonic range, one model has a second camera in the frame of the LCD screen but all the later models accept a picture from a Smartphone running the Panasonic App. I guess other makes will have similar features.

You would be much better buying a low cost camcorder (NOT an Action Cam) but also buy a Video Editor. Most have access to YouTube and all usually have the PIP feature as well as GreenScreen etc.
I use Corel's VideoStudio Pro X8 which has a Share with YouTube and the PIP feature as well as many other useful features.

It is often easier and more controllable to do things one at a time. Using a Panasonic with two cameras running at the same time is IMO a recipe for disaster. Film both bits of the PIP separately and then mix in the editor.

BrookyG

Novice Member
Thanks for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive reply.

Can anyone recommend a good but cheap camcorder that will "do the job"?

Thanks

BG

Terfyn

For starters look on Amazon. Most camcorders from the trinity Canon, Panasonic and Sony are good. You want a SD card based camera (which most are nowadays)

12harry

Distinguished Member
As to camera choice . . . I suspect something reasonably easy and rugged will be longer-lasting, so something like a GoPro or the cheaper imitators. Their Wideangle lens means focus isn't needed and it can be helmet-mounted for bike rides, etc. giving a hands-free record of adventures. Batteries last about 1hr; so he'll have to come home real soon. These action camera start about £100, although there are some about £50 which others have bought recently ( Other threads).

Anything like a real camera/camcorder needs to be tripod mounted for some of the time to get steady shots, if the audience is other than Ma/Gran/friends . . . audiences don't like wobbly footage . . . but at 10, all is forgiven (for a while). However, a real camcorder ( Starting £300 ). needs some understanding to "tell the story" with close-ups and action-shots - the zoom allowing framing of the important bits . . . but that's a lot to expect from a beginner of tender years.

I didn't understand why he wants PIP - it's a fairly "advanced" technique ( often seen in News programmes ).... but as Terfyn suggested, it's best done a separate shoots. ASFIK all Editors can provide PIP and you might like to wait a while to see how much time he's willing to spend on the Post-production aspect. I'm not sure the WA footage from an Action camera will suit PIP, but if he want to try.... A decent Editor will require modern 2- or Quad-core PC with a decent video card (1G RAM these days, about £60) and most are available with a 30-day "trial" but my advice is to get the same Editor friends use, that way if there's a problem, they can help sort it.

Good Luck to all.

elmo01

As said above any camera should do, you could consider a web cam to record his face for the video.

Have a look on YouTube for videos on how to make YouTube videos etc (is it for gaming) if so he will need something to record the games with (something like an elgato)

Terfyn

I don't agree with Harry about GoPro. Action cams (and there are many cheaper ones) are very limiting and are not really for creative film making. You need a conventional camcorder.
For example look at the Panasonic HC-V160EB-K a decent camera with some creative control. Do remember that if PIP is important you will also need that editor.

BrookyG

Novice Member
Thanks gents, any more specific camera recommendations are mucho appreciated. :smashin:

Cheap is good too, as he is only 10 years old ... !

Terfyn

This could go one of two ways, either it is a short lived phase or he could grab the hobby and turn out some really decent films. So a good camera is a must.
You should also use it and experiment with filming. If it used for family filming, it produces a record that will be valuable to you in later years.
I filmed my Grandkids from a few weeks old and now I have a record of their baby days, crawling and walking etc. - invaluable!

12harry

Distinguished Member
What do 10yr olds do . . . play with friends scrump apples, make dens etc.

That was why I suggested an action camera - vey rugged and no need to focus. Sure they aren't a "real camcorder" and the WA lens is a tad tedious all the while. However, it will mean Dad gets some peace and can review the footage later. Meanwhile son is living it up and making friends, riding bikes, skates, etc.

Terfyn is right about family records being invaluable - but I suspect Terfyn was doing the filming. Youngsters ( even when taking care ) can break things and conventional cameras/camcorders are not suited to the tough world of 10yr olds ( or their friends, who will "Want a go" )-.

That OP's son wants to YouTube his stuff ( 1st Post ), rather suggests to me, it may be "this is what I did today", rather than a scripted, funded, Documentary . . . . - perhaps OP can guide us ?.

Terfyn

You suspect right Harry, a three week old baby has a problem holding a camera.
I often let my Grandchildren use my camera and they prove to be very good and provide some usable shots. Otherwise how do you learn?
I guess you learnt to use a ladder at an early age, Harry, otherwise how did you get so many apples?

elmo01

What do 10yr olds do . . . play with friends scrump apples, make dens etc.

That was why I suggested an action camera - vey rugged and no need to focus. Sure they aren't a "real camcorder" and the WA lens is a tad tedious all the while. However, it will mean Dad gets some peace and can review the footage later. Meanwhile son is living it up and making friends, riding bikes, skates, etc.

Terfyn is right about family records being invaluable - but I suspect Terfyn was doing the filming. Youngsters ( even when taking care ) can break things and conventional cameras/camcorders are not suited to the tough world of 10yr olds ( or their friends, who will "Want a go" )-.

That OP's son wants to YouTube his stuff ( 1st Post ), rather suggests to me, it may be "this is what I did today", rather than a scripted, funded, Documentary . . . . - perhaps OP can guide us ?.

You could be right but a lot of younger gamers are into making call of duty type videos etc as well, that's what I got from the OP lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom