1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder for £200?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Mo'Reece, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Mo'Reece

Mo'Reece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dough!!

Edited my post when I wanted to add one! Now I have to type it all again. :(

OK, budget is £250. Requirement is to be able to edit on PC and take pictures (if possible at my budget). Night mode would also be good.

2. Mo'Reece

Mo'Reece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My daughters first birthday is coming very soon so I would really appreciate some recommendations please chaps. :rolleyes:

3. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ebay,type Canon Outlet into the search bar !

I got a canon MV6iMC for £201.

4. Mo'Reece

Mo'Reece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would not worry if I were you,you are dealing direct with Canon UK.These items are described as refurbished,but I defy you to distinguish the camcorder I bought from a new model.In fact these are often new models repackaged.

Don't forget,you even get a 12 month warranty.

On a low budget,you get more for your money.

6. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive seen a Canon MV700i for £49 on Canon Outlet from ebay.

7. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot recommend Canon from personal experience. A lot of them suffer a common fault that Canon want £144 to fix. For around £110 more, I bought a brand new Sony E19 (Jessops pricematched an internet price) and it is far superior to the £650 Canon 450i I bought 2 and a half years ago!

8. alistairgd

alistairgd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony miniDV HC-14 from Amazon.co.uk

9. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesnt seem to have DV In which is a deal breaker for me unless, I can fit a TV card into my PC.

10. alistairgd

alistairgd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you need DV in for?

11. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    You need DV in if you want to archive your edited footage back to DV tape to maintain better quality than DVD.

The cheapest Sony I've seen with DV in/out if the Sony DCR-HC22 available for around £300 online (inc. at Amazon - but I have a prejudice against them thanks to some lousy customer service at Christmas)

12. alistairgd

alistairgd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Is it not possible to publish to DVD without loss of quality?

13. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    My understanding from research (and brief professional exposure) is that the native picture quality of miniDV is better than MPEG2 at the format used by DVD.
    Once your footage is edited and compressed to suit DVD playback it will be significantly harder to edit as there is no built in timecode to synchronise every frame.
    I'm not an expert on this but I have pushed up my budget by £45 from the HC-19 to the HC-22 to get DVin based on what I read here, over at www.thedvdforums.com camcorder bit and at http://www.simplydv.co.uk/simplyBB/.
    I was also told the cradle is a good idea as it will save wear and tear on the camera and I will be connecting to the PC every 5 minutes when I start off!

14. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All DVD movies are compressed to MPEG2 which, whilst good, will not be as good as the raw footage.

Think about it - Single layer DVD's hold 4.7 Gb of Data, whereas uncompressed video takes up 14Gb per hour of footage, so in oder to fit a one hour movie onto a DVD, you've got to compress your footage by about 2/3rds.

Also, DVD's are not good for archiving movies onto because they are not durable enough. Even if you put them somewhere really safe, they still suffer from disc rot. So the best way of archiving your edited movies is by saving back to tape, and for that you need DV-in.

15. alistairgd

alistairgd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Is tape really more durable than DVD though? Just as a matter of interest is there any research on that?