1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camcorder editting query

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by SNICK, Jan 17, 2004.

1. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ok, i've got the DV camcorder - now i want to edit this one my pc and view the output on a DVD (or VCD)

I've tried USB streaming data - and burning this on a CD-r - but the quality was poor - not what i paid all this money for!

Believe I need to go down the firewire route (CC has DV out) what exactly do i need (apart from a cable and card?)

As i don't have a DVD burner (yet) - what will the finished footage look like on VCD - or shall I bite the bullet now and buy a DVD burner.

appreciate any advice on this.

2. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    VCD's look poor due to there resolution which is 352x288. A DVD uses 720x576.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/comparison

You can see that the bitrate is also limited to 1150Kbit/s for a VCD where as a DVD is variable.

If you have Win XP you already have a editing tool which is Movie Maker. Look on the Microsoft home page and you can download a free upgrade to Movie Maker 2.

I also think you may need an encoder or get a editing package which has a built in encorder. Hopefully others will be able to recommend some, as I havent got the camcorder yet so have no experence.

I personnaly would fork out the money for a DVD burner. £60-70 for a 4x or go to about £90 - 110 for a 8x. 4x does a whole DVD in about 16 mins so not too slow.

If you want to keep good quality then you really do need to burn the footage to DVD. Everything else will look poor. With DVD you could convert it so that you get 2 hours, or even convert it to get 4 hours at a decent rate.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As you have already found, you must use firewire to get good quality video capture to a PC. Many firewire cards will be supplied with a cable & software and will only cost about £30 up or £20 up if no software included.
    I would also recommend getting a DVD burner. The prices are now so low and the end results really do make it money well spent.
    It is very unlikely that the software that comes with the FW card will create a DVD, but if you get a retail version of the burner then this should have all you need, but very simple and limited features. I would recommend Ulead DVD Movifactory 2 as an all in package for creating DVD's (& SVCD/VCD's). It even has basic editing features, but will not allow for adding titles & wipes etc. so best done by dedicated editing software such as MS MM2.

Now you need to make sure you have loads of spare disk space as DV footage will take 1Gb per 4 minutes captured. You then need more for editing and file conversion etc. But with a 120Gb disk costing around £70 this isn't too bad!

Good luck with the new hobby,
    Mark.