Camcorder Editing on a Panny E65

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GadgetObsessed, Jan 5, 2005.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    I'm looking for a DVD recorder to do 3 things and I'm considering the Panny E65 at £230 from Richer Sounds:
    (1) Simple archive from my Sky+ (I have no interest in editing out adverts etc)
    (2) Acting as an RGB to component converter i.e. take an RGB feed from Sky+ and output component to my Panny 36PD30 TV. (Its a long story but for some reason there are various problems with the RGB inputs on this TV) This appears to rule out any of the current crop of Pioneers.
    (3) Recording from a camcorder via DV in to DVD-R.

I realise that without a HD I wont have many editing possibilities on the E65 but I was wondering exactly what options I would have. i.e. can I just dump an entire camcorder tape (or two) to a disk and then edit out the sections I dont want.

Having tried video editing on the PC I realise that all I really need is very simple editing facilities. I dont care about moving thumbnails, any speial effects between scenes, choices of menus, etc.

I did consider the Panny E85 but this has no DV-in or the Tosh 32, but some people have reported problems with PQ using the Tosh with my model of TV. The Panny E95 is more than I'm willing to pay.

Wha is the drop in picture quality/reduction in editing options if recording from a DV camcorder via S-video? If it is very little then I may consider saving £60 and getting the E55 instead.

2. skes

skes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you record it to DVD-Ram you can edit it, not sure about DVD-R,
    There will be a difference you'll notice in picture quality,If you bought all this high tech stuff with great picture quality why would you even consider settling for a poorer picture quality, i wouldn't.

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    skes - you are right if one of my main reasons for buying is archiving from a camcorder I shouldn't lose DV-in for the sake of £60. However, if the answer had been that S-video gave very similar results to DV-in then I may have considered stretching to the Panny E85 at about £350. The extra £200 for the E95 which does have dv-in isn't worth it for me.

I have seen details of a new Panny E87 that looks like the replacement for the E85. Does anyone know if this model will have DV-in?