Camcorder connection

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Sidjacko, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Sidjacko

Sidjacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New to video editing, purchased JVC GR-DVL167 camcorder and Ulead Video Studio 8.

How do I connect the camera to my PC?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hi Sidjacko and welcome to the forum :hiya:

right, to connect your camcorder to the PC is very easy as long as the PC has firewire ports. You just need to get a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable for under £10 online.
    If however your PC does not have firewire already you will need to buy a PCI card to put inside the PC with firewire ports on it. This can be bought online from around £10 and will include the above mentioned cable.

HTH's
    Mark.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Despite what it may say in your camcorder manual and despite the fact that you may have a number of cables and adapters supplied with your camera the only way to consistently capture high quality video from your camera to your PC is by firewire (also known as i-link, IEEE1394, or DV port).

If your PC already has firewire ports then all you need is a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable - these are a standard item and can be purchased quite cheaply in any good computer or video camera shop.

If your PC does not have firewire ports you need to install a PCI card with ports on - these again are quite cheap and can be installed even by a relative novive in a matter of minutes.

Edit - - - DOH did I really take that long to type it.

4. John R

John R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I also have this problem with my panasonic camera.

Could someone please tell me where I can get ones of these firewire ports and how easy are they to fit? Can you get one that is external and plugs into a USB socket?

Anyone got any links to shops on the web with these products (listed above) on them?

Thanks,

John

5. Jaime

Jaime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

I can recommend the NISIS easycard firewire, I bought it from amazon and it came with the lead to connect the camcorder ( I have a Panasonic) to the port, and Ulead video editing software. I have had no problems.

To fit inside the PC is easy, find a spare pci port and slot the card in - its that simple, and I'm a girl! I always used to be terrified of taking the back off, but you should'nt be!!

Yes you can get USB, but I would try and fit internally!

Hope this helps!!

Very easy to i

6. Ender4000

Ender4000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    What are people's experiences with faulty firewire ports?

My PC is already equipped with a firewire port on its sound card, and I'm using it now for the first time. I can capture fine from my canon MV750i, but when i try to output footage back to mini DV tape, it comes up with an intermittent blue screen. After ruling out most possible sources of the problem, I think my firewire port may be faulty. Is this common?

Thanks.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Not common with a dedicated firewire port, but I have seen many people saying that the ports on a sound card have caused no end of problems as I don't think they fully comply with the ieee1394 standards. In the past adding a dedicated PCI firewire card has solved all their problems, and at around £10 for the card is not too expensive to try.

Mark.

8. Dougskiii

Dougskiii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi every1,
    i just got a camcorder and i cant get my computer (an apple mac ibook G4) to recognise my camcorder when it is attatched to the computer by either firewire or USB. The camcorder is supposed to recognise that it is connected too but it doesnt. ive tried all the procedures in the manual under trouble shooting an theres still nothing! i know your mostly talking about using cameras with pcs but if anyone could help it would be fab!

CHEERS!

9. foral

foral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having exactly the same problems as the above poster. I have attached my camcorder to the PC via a i-link ( firewire ) but I can't get the PC to recognise the connection!

I am thinking maybe the card I am trying to use is not a PCI card ( pretty sure it is, but I pulled it off an old comp so may not be ). How can I tell if it is a PCI card?

The card has 2 USB slots and 2 other slots ( not sure what they are called but it is these that the firewire cable fits ), I know the USB slots are working because I have used them to capture stills from camcorder ( JVC ) but how can I check if the other 2 are working? ( btw what are the other 2 called ? )