1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camcorder connection blues

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ben2579, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ben2579

ben2579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    camcorder connection blues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello there,
    please could some one help me with my troubles.

I am trying to connect my sony DV camcorder to my PC via firewire. the computer recognises the camcorder when connected however i am unable to capture any picture.

i have had the firewire card checked and its ok.

i have tried various software.

i have only tried the firewire cable that came with the card, someone mentioned that sony requires a special wire sometimes? any truth in this.

any ideas help??

ben

2. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Please give us some more information. What software have you been trying and what is the exact problem/error you are getting.
    If your PC is seeing the camcorder then I would think that the cable is fine.

Cheers

DigiStuff

3. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't know where you heard about Sony requiring a special wire from. A firewire cable is a firewire cable. The only differences are that sometimes you need a 4pin to 6pin wire, and others you need a 4pin to 4pin depending on what you're plugging it into.

As DigiStuff says, I think we need a bit more information before we can fully help.

Just a few initial thoughts however.

1. Have you made sure that the Camcorder is in VCR mode?
    2. Normally the software is (or can be) set to control the camcorder so that it starts it when capture commences. Check that this is the case, otherwise you'll need to manually press play on the camcorder.
    3. Make sure the camcorder is connected and turned on before you start your editing application.

Hope this helps.

4. ben2579

ben2579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    guys,
    thanks for the help so far, will try those basiscs and get you full details of the problem asap.
    cheers ben

5. Slipperystevens

Slipperystevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi

I'm just starting to dip my toe into the video editing area. However, I have used a free piece of capture software called WinDV which can be found at http://windv.mourek.cz/

This software only captures the video output from your camera and doesn't do any editing etc. but it will confirm that your connection is OK.

Hope this is of some use to you.

6. ben2579

ben2579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    just to clarify the problem, the camera (sony DV DCRPC5 (2000 model) connects to the computer and it is recognised. the computer controls the camera, but when it plays no picture or audio is captured. when recording the camera plays but the computer counter does not start.

when stopped it asks where to save the file. when i go back to play back this file a message appears "an error occured while opeing this file. either the selected file is not a windows movie maker project file or the project file is corrupted"

this is obviously with windows movie maker but i have also tried pinnacle studio V8

the camera was on and connected b4 the computer was started. the camera was in playback mode.

thankyou for the suggestions so far but i am still a bit lost

7. ben2579

ben2579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    still struggling with the above problem, is there anyone with experience of sony camcorders that could help thru some light on the problem.
    ben