1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camcorder connection blues

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ben2579, Apr 13, 2005.

1. ben2579

ben2579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hello there,
    please could some one help me with my troubles.

I am trying to connect my sony DV camcorder to my PC via firewire. the computer recognises the camcorder when connected however i am unable to capture any picture.

i have had the firewire card checked and its ok.

i have tried various software.

i have only tried the firewire cable that came with the card, someone mentioned that sony requires a special wire sometimes? any truth in this.

any ideas help??

ben :lease:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Nope! Sony camcorders will connect via firewire with a bog standard firewire cable. Don't waiste any money on Sony specific cables. Sony call firewire iLink, but the 2 are exactly the same thing, as is ieee1394 or DV-Port.

What errors are you getting (if any) when trying to capture?
    Is the firewire card installed correctly and working ok? Check for the ieee1394 ports under device manager to check.
    Make sure you connect the camcorder before starting the capture software, otherwise the software is unlikely to detect the cam.

Mark.

ps, you might get more replies to camcorder/editing questions in the camcorder forum rather than the HCPC forum.

3. ben2579

ben2579

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thankyou very much for your help, i'm not actually getting any errors, and the camcoder is being recognised, just no picture capture. the software will operate the camera by remote. i have recently tried it on a friends pc who has successfully captured from his JVc camcorder which makes me suspicious of the camera itself.

thanks again

p.s have relocated thread to appropriate page - cheers