1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder compatability

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Gytha, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Gytha

Gytha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Hello everyone,

I have finally decided that I want get a camcorder! Does anyone know which digital camcorders are compatible with Apple imac OS9? I would like to be able to get still pictures onto the computer and print them off but I guess its not totally necessary. I want a camera for recording my dogs agility competitions, and him playing in the garden etc. so to capture one moment and print it would be great. It also needs to be relatively simple as Dad will be using it to record our agility runs (but, again, would be nice if it had extras that I could use too). I'd definitely need to be able to watch it on the tv and put it onto vhs tape.

Any ideas/recommendations? :lease: Oh! I have a measly budget of £250 max. Maybe I should go for an old analogue camcorder? :confused:

Any help would be gratefully recieved,
    Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Compatability with your iMac is not an issue here as all digital camcorders will have a firewire port and as Apple invented firewire I'm sure you'll find that even when Noah took an iMac onto the ark it had a firewire port :laugh:
    Also many camcorders have a slot to take one type of memory card. You can record to tape as normal and then transfer still pictures to the card and then just slot that into a card reader or even connect the cam to Mac via USB (only some camcorders have this feature).
    AFAIK all camcorders have an analogue output so you can connect it to a TV & VCR, so there should be no problems getting the footage onto VHS tapes.

Within your budget all the cams should be simple with fully automatic settings so all your dad will need to do is press the record button and point it in the right direction :zonked:

I did a quick search for camcorders up to £250 and came back with the results Here. You have a choice of 8, but I would also recommend going to a local jessops with the details found and try the cams before you buy. With the web details of the cam you are after they will then pricematch it for you as long as it is a UK web site! This way if you have any problems you can go and speek to somebody rather than via e-mail or phone if bought off the web.

Good luck,
    Mark.

3. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Blimey Mark.. I didn't realise Apple invented firewire! That'll be how they managed to hook that lappie up to the alien spacecraft then... :clap:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    :laugh:

5. Gytha

Gytha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very many thanks Mark! That list and your advise is a HUGE help.

Cheers,
    Gytha

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Glad to help!

Now you have the fun bit of going out and playing with the cams and seeing which ones you like best. I really do advise you to go to a Jessops if possible as they do tend to know their stuff and can offer advise. Add to this their internet pricematching and you should get a good deal. Just don't pay their prices for the DV tapes as these can be bought online for about £3 each if buying around 10 at a time.

Good luck,
    Mark.

7. Gytha

Gytha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again - do you have any experience of the Sony DCR TRV255 or the Panasonic NV DS60? Both sound quite good but then I found a bad review for the Sony! Wow! Its a minefield out there isn't it?!?!? I shall definitely go to Jessops on Saturday - great tip.

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Sorry, but I have no experience of the up to date camcorder models as I have had my Sony TRV900 for about 4 years and am still more than happy with it. Besides if I start loking my credit card is goingto start burning a hole in my pocket :nono:

Yeh, it is a minefield when buying any electrical goods these days. There are just so many companies making similar products. Some do it well, while other just seem to be trying to keep up with the big boys! For this reason you really do need to get advise on forums like this and then go and try before you buy.

Mark.