Camcorder Capture Question Canon MV500i

iwaddo

Novice Member
Hi, I have a Canon MV500i, a pile of tapes, loads of cables, a USB capture device (EM28284), OBS installed and an 27" iMac (late 2012).

My question relates to which is the best way to get the best quality captured imaged on my iMac.

I have a DV cable (says it conforms to IEEE 1394/DV) with Firewire on the end (though I may need a converter),
I could use s-video or the AV-out port probably together with the audio-out.

Any help doing this the best way possible would be appreciated and what is the best resolution I can expect to get.

Thank you for your help.

sep8001

Hi

I will let someone who has used this to confirm that it works 100%, unless you have the option of buying one and if it does not work sending it back:

Amazon product

The best quality would be via firewire, you could then edit and export using iMovies.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
+1 for Firewire to Thunderbolt connection to your Mac. Full digital quality and much better than analogue capture.

iwaddo

Novice Member
Thank you for your help. Could I please ask for help in selecting the correct cable to go from the camcorder directly to Thunderbolt or an adaptor for cable I have which is shown below.
IMG_3459.jpg

Thank you for your help.

sep8001

I think with the FireWire to Thunderbolt adaptor you will need a cable like this

rhinocables Firewire Cable IEEE 1394 DV for PC, Cameras, Video and Audio, Fully Moulded End Connectors (3m, 4 Pin to 4 Pin) Amazon product

The one you have will not work as the smaller side (4pin) goes into the camcorder and the larger one goes into a FireWire card port (6pin)

Sorry I might be wrong looking at the image on this one

Not sure if you have a apple shop near you to go have a look at the cable and the connection.

iwaddo

Novice Member
I'm sure you would know I'd back for more help :)

So I've a cable and adapter and seem to be able import video into both OBS and iMovie, my next challenge is how to get the audio? I am either doing something very stupid (user error) or I am missing a bit of the puzzle.

Any further help appreciated.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
This is not normally a problem. I assume the audio can be heard when playing back the files through the camcorder screen and speaker?

iwaddo

Novice Member
Yes, I can hear the audio from the camcorder directly, I was wondering If I'd purchased the wrong cable - I've got this one

World of Data 3m Firewire Cable (9-4) - 9-pin to 4-pin - IEEE1394 - Video - Camcorder - DV - 800 - Male to Male​

I will double check the settings.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
No, the audio data is carried alongside the video, so it's something on the Mac setup I would suggest?

iwaddo

Novice Member
Still no luck with this, any ideas appreciated, if it is the Mac I cannot work out where.

Any thoughts appreciated.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Mini DV had 2 audio modes, both PCM, but 1 was 4 channel and the other 2 channel, but with higher quality.

Is there a setting in the capture program to set this?

iwaddo

Novice Member
@noiseboy72

Yes, you have identified the problem. If I have tape playing I can get audio in both QT and iMovie, have not yet worked out about OBS.This is all very bazaar.

My other option is to revert to my Capture Device and use S-Video and Audio Out, I will need to check the real difference in quality.

Thank you for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom