Question Camcorder bean bags?

_Dragon_

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I take my camcorder out with us when we go out for walks just incase we see any wildlife the thing is my hands are not so steady these days,I dont want to take my tripod out with me not fun lugging it around with you for no reason,i was told jessops sell bean bags where you can sit them say on a gate or a fence,But i cant seem to find anything,Is there such a thing for a camcorder?

Try "Camera Bean Bags" in Amazon, they have a number shown.
Or may I suggest a monopod. They make trekking poles with a 1/4" camera screw mount. I have two that act as walking sticks and both have camera mounts. I "clamp" the stick to a fence or a gate pole with my hand and the result is as steady as a tripod.

Or make your own! Fill a bag about 6 inches square with died lentils or peas. Every bit as effective.

Richard

Modern bean bags are filled with polystyrene and other inert plastics. This removes the problem of finding waterproof bags and degradation of the filling. Yes, you can get polystyrene packing material and fill your own bag but, in truth, the cost of a ready made one, doesn't justify the faff of DIY unless you have all the bits to hand.

I still feel that a good monopod is more versatile than a bean bag, especially as they can act as trekking poles as well. They are certainly more rigid and it can be argued that they take up less room than bean bags and can be packed in most suitcases. I suppose the argument for DIY could be applied to a walking stick by fitting a 1/4" thread to the top of the handle.

Hi

I did think about a diy but thought about it being weather proof and to be honest it would be better easier just to buy one,I shall definitely look into a monopod,I have a Panasonic HCV770 and looking at the ones on Amazon they are all for cameras unless im searching wrong,Terfyn if you have time could you point out what bean bag would be more than suitable for my camcorder.

Cheers:)

Looks good Hillskill but thats way to much money to spend on just for casual use.

Last edited:
Right. I have the HC-V750 which, you may know, is exactly the same spec as the 770, except for the Wi-Fi and a few improvements, and its the same size. Kev Greenhalgh suggestion seems a good option, it looks quite small and (very important) easy to carry about. Really a soft and flexible support is all you need, even an old cushion will do.
I do find the OIS on the 750 very good but I understand your concerns. This is why I use a monopod, first all the vertical movement is totally supressed and it is easy to pan and tilt by rotating the camera on the pole, I carry a Velcro strap in case I want to "lash" the monopod to a rail or fence. I suggested trekking poles because they have the two uses of monopod and helping me to stay upright!:) One of my monos is the same as the Hama one on Amazon.
Another option is included in my video editor, Mercalli is an effect that you can apply to shaky video and it helps to steady the picture. I use Corel's VideoStudio X9 Ultimate for all my editing.

The one Kev linked looks good enough for what i want it,I to use videostudio.These video cameras are small thats why i was thinking of getting the POD but now the one Kev had linked has changed my mind.

Here is a youtube video of the Pod

Whilst a "Bean-bag", or similar may be excellent, I'm not sure it works on walks as described . . . surely the chances of finding said Wildlife by a convenient resting-post/gate is somewhat unlikely?
If you are taking the camcorder out . . . why not accept the Tripod needs to come too?

If holding the camcorder is a issue, do you only need to hold it "better" - in which case a 2-hand hold may suffice. . . for example a "Figg-Rig" - which improves steady-holding. Much lighter than Mono-pod/tripod, it will(?) greatly transform hand-held sequences.
-OR- Shoulder-braces ....might be another solution.....

The issue I have is that most "Wildlife" is moving / and/or fleeting and you probably need the stability offered by a tripod for those in-between times ... i.e. before the "moment" presents itself.

Good luck.

Glad this has been brought up as someone today had just been talking about the beanbag route isn't going to be a good way to go,My video camera does come with me alot because its small and lightweight,I use to have a spare tripod in the car when i use to use my DSLR alot,But now ive moved from DSLR to video camera so now longer carry alot of things with me.

But a different kind of tripod has been suggested that can be easily wrapped around fence posts trees etc.. Its a Joby Gorillapod Action tripod

Joby Gorillapod Action Tripod - Jessops - Tripods

I am surprised you have not considered the use of a monopod. The Joby is OK but will not give you the flexibility to pan or tilt the camcorder. Much of my recording requires the camera to follow a moving object, a car, a yacht or a bird. A tripod requires setting up which may mean you "miss the moment".
There are a number of ways to support your camera, I have a L bracket by Hama. This gives me two proper hand holds, one using the camera hand strap and a handle for my left hand. It can also support a light or mic on the handle.
There are a number of shoulder and chest mounts available. They supply support but can be cumbersome.
For Harry's information, my monopod which, as I said, also acts as a walking stick weighs 15oz and is made of Aluminium. That's not heavy!

Im not rushing into things so the sensible thing im going to do is go and play around with some monopods at the weekend.

Cheers:)

Try everything while you are out.:) Monopod, Bean bags or a substitute ( the dog's cushion??:smashin:) What suits one may not suit another.
I have the two monopods, both came from the 7dayshop.com, one is a properly sprung trekking stick with the camera mount hinged on the top (Hama lookalike)and the other (my preferred option) is an adjustable (lightweight 15oz) "pole" with a rather elegant knob on top covering the camera mount. Both have a choice of finial with a fixed hardened tip or rubber boot.

My own experience with tripods is that, to be of any use, they need to be heavy. The lightweight ones, I find, are too unstable and flexible for steady shots especially at the telephoto end of the zoom. (especially at the 1500x zoom of the 770. :facepalm:)

Please let us know your preference and why you like that option.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom