Camcorder alternative?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by barry1901, May 5, 2005.

1. barry1901

barry1901
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am trying to set up an educational aid which can be operated by non-technically minded users. The purpose of the aid is to record mock interviews.
    Basically I would like to couple an upper end camcorder via the firewire output to a Panasonic DMRE500HEBS dvd recorder (one touch record facility, large hard drive and a burn facility)
    Using a camcorder would have the following advantages:-
    Auto focus
    Auto iris
    Manual zoom
    Eyepiece viewer
    However as we don’t intend to record to digital tape I would like to operate the camcorder in the standby position to prevent unnecessary wear and tear, the trouble then is I could get tape warning messages on the screen and auto closedown after a number of minutes.
    I am aware of other types of cameras, but without a quantum leap in price none seem to offer any of the advantages of the camcorder.
    Any advice suggestions etc will be appreciated
    Cheers,
    Barry.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I'd ask in the Camcorders Forum if I were you - you'll probably get more replies there.

3. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I think most, if not all, camcorders will produce pictures without a tape inserted. In the case of Sony camcorders, they switch off after 3 minutes if a tape is inserted, but otherwise they stay on indefinitely. Other makes are probably similar. Make sure the Demo Mode is set to Off if you want to use the camcorder as a camera, otherwise the demonstration will start after about 10 minutes (this may only apply to Sonys).

Our local Comet store has loads of tethered camcorders of various makes on display, that are switched on without tapes (or DVDs) loaded for customers to try the controls.

4. barry1901

barry1901
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rasczak,
    I was just about to follow your advice and post on the camcorder forum,which I thought I was on (old age!) when I received the reply from Maldonian which gave me new hope and possibly the solution to my problem.
    Many thanks to you both for swift and helpful replies.
    Cheers
    Barry.