Camcorder Advice

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Jeewhizz, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am after a digital camcorder, and have narrowed it down to two:

The Canon MV750i - 22x optical zoom, 1/6" 800k CCD, however, some users report audible machine head noise on the recordings - priced at £350

or

The JVC GR-D93 - 10x optical zoon, 1/4" 1.33M CCD, priced at £290 - cheaper than the canon, and the CCD is better - however, the optical zoom is better on the Canon.

What's the best one to go for? Reason for choosing the above is mainly dv in / out, as well as analogue in/passthrough, and good reviews - which both have :)

Cheers,

Jee

2. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found the MV850i for £330 :O

20x optical zoom, and does 'true' widescreen as well. Anyone else got any comments on this one?

3. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not familiar with the models, but how do they transfer info to a PC? Do they have firewire outputs for example, as that will save an awful lot of time waiting. Just a thought.

4. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Jee,
    On the first two, given the choice I would go for the JVC. My reasons are PQ over zoom. You will find the zoom almost redundant as you record more footage, the PQ is a constant throughout.
    I believe the number of pixels is related more to the stills capability than the recorded footage, but what gives you better PQ is a larger CCD.
    What are the specs. on the MV850i
    I have read many threads complaining about Canon's transfer of motor noise too.
    Brum

5. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    onall of them, the ports are firewire, usb and svideo in/out

I'd only be using firewire to my mac.

the details for the m350i are:

Optical Sensor Type CCD
    Total Pixels 800,000 pixels
    Effective Sensor Resolution 400,000 pixels
    Optical Sensor Size 1/6"

Cheers,

Jee

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    Based purely on the specs you have given above, I would recommend you go for the JVC!

The bigger CCD on the JVC will let more light through, giving better indoor, poorly lit results. Consumer camcorders are poor at this type of filming and therefore you need all the help you can get.
    A zoom of anything much over 10x is IMO a complete waiste as the amount of camera shake on a high zoom will make the results unwatchable, even with a good optical image stabaliser on the camcorder. Do any of the cams even have optical image stabalisers? Forget the digital version as this will lower the resolution of the recording. Even on a tripod the slightest movement will look bad at a high zoom.

Mark.

7. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys.

I"ve heard about a lot of people having issues with the JVC one rejecting batteries and tapes etc and requiring more-than-average head cleaning. So I think i'll give this a miss, as i don't need the hassle ;)

I think end of the day i'm going to get the MV850i - will let you know how it is :)

8. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested to know where you can get the 850i for 330GBP - cheapest I can find delivered is 350GBP - The 750i is 320GBP, and IMHO is a better (made) cam unless you want the widescreen thingy (and I don't think t's true anamorphic widescreen either - I may be wrong?): better battery life (cos it takes better batteries) but no S-Video (if you need it anyway). Also interested to hear your views about transport noise: I've no complaints about my 750i, but I'm probably not as discriminating as pros and reviewers.

BTW, is it just my impression, but having owned 530 and 750, and handled 850 in the shop, the build quality is definitely deteriorating?

Paul

9. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    850i is 321 from dabs.com atm... or 350 from pixmania with 2 yrs warranty.

not handled the 750i, but a friend who works in comet gets at least 1-2 back per month with the motor noise problem being very audible on the tape. I know I can return it, but i really really don't need the hassle, as I have a wedding to sort out!

Jee

10. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeewhiz, how do you mean the JVC GR-D73 rejects batteries and Dv tapes?

Thanks in advance
    #
    Tim

11. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

What I have read is that halfway through recording, at a random time, the camera will say either the heads need cleaning, or the battery is mis-aligned, and won't let you record any further. I have a friend at comet who has received one like this, and I did find a site that had this comment to back him up, but can't find it at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...86464?_encoding=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo
    has some reviews that aren't too flattering of the camera - the gr-d93

12. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Thanks

Tim