1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder 3 ccd

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by niccam, Oct 16, 2004.

1. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi could someone point me in the right way as The more I read the more confused I'm getting. I know that the Camcorder with 3CCD is high spec but have read that if the light is not good the 3 ccd camcorders suffer a bit and the Camcorders with single large ccd do well in the same conditions and is there really a bid difference in picture quality between the single and three CCD camcorders. I have a Canon 3ccd camcorder xm2 GREAT camcorder but need a back up and I don't know to whether to buy a good single ccd or go for a 3CCD camcorder.
    I'm thinking between CANON MVX 200/250I, SONY HC40 and the PANASONIC GS120. Can anyone point me in the right way remember its a backup camera £550 is my budget. Thank you.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some folk beleive that because a 3 ccd cam splits the light 3 ways that a 3ccd camera is less responsive than a single ccd cam.

What they fail to realise is that the picture signal for each type of cam is the same, so that a 3x 1/4 inch (as on your xm2) cam will capture the same light as a 1ccd 1/4 inch cam, just that the xm2 will have an independant actual value for red geen and blue on each pixel. wheras a single chip cam would have a value for the pixel based on "well the one next to it is red, the one on the other side is blue, so this one must be purple".

There is a minor transmissance loss between each surface so a 3ccd cam will always loose a miniscule factor of light compared to a single cho, but the info produced will be much more accurate.

Bigger chips capture more light (dependant on the speed of the lens) although not often more resolution, XM2 ccds are above betasx and all 4:3 dvcpro. BUT, because the size of the chip is smaller, there is far less light per pixel.

Buy at leat 1/4" where you can affford. 3ccd single ccd makes no diff with light captured.

3. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roy, I've narrowed it down to either the PANSONIC 120 or CANON 200i/CANON250i The panasonic has 3 .06 CCD and the Canon has 1 1.3 CCD
    while the Panasonic has a 10x zoom and the Canon has 14x zoom What do you think? If the Panasonic had the 14x zoom it would be the winner but I'm caught between either the zoom or the CCDs.Thanks again

4. El Indio

El Indio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 3CCD camera should be roughly 3x more sensitive to (white) light than the single CCD camera (for a given CCD size). The single CCD uses (eg 1:2:1 R:G:B) bayer interpolation that means it sees only 1/2 of the green light available, 1/4 of red light and 1/4 of blue light.

The prism of the 3CCD has negible effect, and besides, should be measured against the bayer filter needed on the single CCD.

In other words, the light sensitivity is proportional to the total surface area of the CCDs in the camera.

This is my understanding, El

5. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi El Indo what would you recommend as the PANASONIC 3CCD ARE 1/16 [0.06] not 1/4 and the CANON 1 CCD is 1.3 its down to the CANON 250i 18X zoom and PANASONIC 120 yours niccam

6. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    El Indio, every camcorder sees the exact same ratio of RGB in white light whether single or triple ccd.

The ratio of green is always far higher (I forget the exact proportions) so as to mirror the way our eyes work (green is the most abundant colour in nature), green is very easy on our eye, this is why they have green rooms in studios.

You are correct though in saying that it is the overall size of the pixel that makes the difference, a 1/4ccd with 330'000 pixels is going to be more responsive than a 1/4ccd with say 400'000, although the definition of the latter will be better.

3x400'000 pixels still only equals 400'000 on screen pixels, just that each pixel has a true value on a 3 ccd cam, rather than an assumed value as on a single ccd cam.

Sony have got round the problem of using smaller pixels by developing their Hole Accumulated Diode system, where there is a film lens over each ccd which boosts the light each pixel captures, this means that cameras like the VX2100 and HC1000 can give broadcast results without having huge chips.