Cambridge or NAD

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by ryau, Sep 2, 2004.

1. ryau

ryau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    I am a newie and would like to set up a home theatre. I have already brought the Mordaunt Short premiere speakers (4ohms). Now, I need to get a reciever. Which one is better? NAD T743, Cambrige audio Azur 540R or Cambridge audio C500/P500/V500? 743 ~ CAN$ 1000, 540R ~ 1000, 500 series ~ 1200. How are the two cambridge compared? I would also like to know the reliability of these two brands. Thanks. :lease:

2. Vik's

Vik's
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CA 540R drives speakers at 8 Ohms (normally), but almost all of the NAD recievers are capable to drive from 2-4 Ohms. I have listened to both NAD and CA for a while ago (before upgrade) and I must admit that I prefer sound that CA produce (both was tested with Cerwin-Vega! V-12F, V-6F).

And I think that 540R woudn't have a problem with 4 Ohm speakers either...

P.S. on rear side of the 540R shining "4-8 Ohm impedance".

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,775
    The V500 is long discontinued and obsolete, and I think the C/P500 are not long for this world either. The 540R sounds nice and packs quite a punch but it is a little fiddly to set up. It has been eons since I've owned anything by NAD so I can't comment.

EDIT it is totally fine with the premieres, was going to sort a rig like that out for the bedroom before my bathroom decided it needed a complete overhaul.