1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge - NAD

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by pharry, Jul 7, 2004.

1. pharry

pharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently looking to buy an integrated amp & CD player.
    Looking at either the Cambridge Azur 640's or the NAD's C542 & C352CT, these being my budget limit.

Although i plan to give these systems a listen this week, i would very much welcome anybody's likes/dislikes on these products who may have sampled or owns them. Both are very appealing to the eye, but sound quality is my major preference.

Many thanks, from someone who'll appreciate a little direction.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    All I'll say (due to the bias of Cambridge being part of the same organisation) is that if you get a decent listen, you'll know exactly which one you want instantly as both have a trademark sound. I suppose other pro's and cons are that the Cambridge gear is better finished and comes in a finish that properly matches other units (ie true black and true silver) and is cheaper, whilst the NAD has great flexibilty in attachment to AV gear and the CD carries HDCD decoding.
    Wasn't much help at all really was it? ;)

3. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not heard the higher priced Cambridge and NAD units but I did audition their budget models and must say it was a tough call as they both sound very good. I eventually went with the NAD units as to my ears they had the more realistic sound. The Cambridge was somewhat soft sounding which was'nt entirely convincing and didn't relay instruments with as much timbre or character as the NAD's. Anyway eitherway I think you'll be very pleased with your choice.

Take Richersounds up on their two week trial on both combo's. I found the Cambridge unit benefits from a few days of use.

4. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to have DVD-A capability as well, the Cambridge 540D is an outstanding CD player in its own right. I bought one, after comparing it head to head with the 540C, just for CD playback (I already have a universal DVD player for other chores--Marantz DV6400).