Cambridge DVD79 vs DVD89

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by matage, Mar 21, 2006.

1. matage

matage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My original compact system finally gave up on me and I thought go for something a bit more sustainable, so I thought it would be wise to ask for advice.

I've been looking at the Cambridge Azur series and have more or less decided on the 540Rv2 once it arrives in Silver over here (in a few weeks). However the DVD is giving me a bit of a headache.

I'm planning on using this setup for both music (from metal to electronica and opera) and movies with an existing Mordaunt Short Premiere speaker setup.

I've been looking at the DVD79 but seeing as the DVD89 is soon available over here as well, I'm hesitant on which one to buy.

As the complete newbie that I am to the world of home cinema and audio, I've read up on whatever I can find online and there seems to be a big fuzz about the 89 not having the Faroudja chip of the 79 (which I understand is a desireable chip to have). So far I do not have a HD-display, but will be running my 32 widescreen 50hz CRT, but naturally I'm hoping to upgrade to a 32 or 37 LCD within a year.

So my question is really: Does make sense for me to wait for the DVD89, or is the 79 just as good a buy?

Anyone got any pros and cons for these players, or should I simply go with the "newer=better"-approach?

Many Thanks

2. Anny

Anny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. matage

matage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but all I can find at RS are their own reviews, and (especially considering they are the sole source of CA in the UK) I prefer to take that kind of information with a grain of salt ;)

What I've figured out so far is that the 89 has got HDMI, which will come in handy sometime later on, but I get contradicting info on the differences in playback ability regarding DivX/MP3 between 79 and 89.

Also I've seen some negative opinions about the loss of the Faroudja-chipset, but I honestly do not know enough to figure out whether this is such a big deal, and what the implications might be. (Tech-lingo is not my second language ;) )

4. LostToys

LostToys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I would steer clear of the DVD89 if your primary application will be PAL disc playback. The DVD89 uses an MTK chipset, which does a great job at 3:2 pulldown, but does a horrible job at 2:2 Cadence support. Because of this, you will get bad aliasing (jagged edges) and interlacing artifacts (combing) when playing back PAL discs. This can potentially be fixed through firmware, though I am a bit skeptical (if you look at the OPDV971H, the only way to get proper 2:2 Cadence is to offload the support to the Faroujda chipset).

5. matage

matage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

So you're saying I should be better off by getting the 79?

Unfortunately I'm rather lost in the terminology so I do not know what 2:2 Cadence means terms of technology or actual image...
    (I've googled it a fair bit, but I have not been able to find any good explanation..)

I guess either way it will be a big improvement over my old JVC all-in-one-kit from -00 :D

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'm confused. I thought the DVD79 had been discontinued? I got the impression that CA gave it up as a bad job because of all the issues it had with the original firmware. Though they did release new firmware to improve the major issues (lipsync being one of the primary issues) it still lags behind in terms of the firmware improvements available on the Oppo (on which the DVD79 is based).

7. neilwilkes

neilwilkes
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

?????
    I am certainly NOT seeing this at all. With both PAL & NTSC discs here, even those mastered in HD, I am not seeing artifacts.
    Playback & picture quality is just fine from RGB SCART for CRT displays, although I do confess I have not tried out the HDMI as yet.....will do that as soon as I get a set capable of it, al;though to be honest I would probably use Component Progressive mode instead.
    I think this is a fine player, and great VFM. It leaves the Pioneers at similar prices dead in the water.

8. matage

matage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you islanders are a bit ahead of us Swedes in this matter ;)

The 540Rv2 just arrived here (just black so far, silver in two weeks) and they still have the 79 on the shelves. The 89 is said to be available in April.

Thanks all for the input and keep it coming :smashin:

9. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The artifacts will only be visible using progressive scan. The RGB scart is interlaced so you will not see the artifacts mentioned.

10. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Purely as a personal opinion, I bought a DVD89 last Friday to replace a Panasonic S97, and unfortunately I was very disappointed. Picture quality via component was poor, pictures looked washed out in comparison to the panasonic no matter how it was setup. I also felt the feature count was very poor .Sound was good though. Very little difference between it and a Samsung 950 at half the price.

Back it went on Monday. No matter how hard I try, I can't find anything better than the Panasonic (within my budget). The dvd89 is never a £200 player imo.

regards,
    vnb

11. Anny

Anny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don’t know if it is available in ur twn but frm whr I can see its still available….and wuld still recommend u to go for Cambridge DVD79… with its high compatible disc and TV its results r stunning… and has the finest pictures amongst any other DVD player… neways its jst a suggestion…

:)