Cambridge DACMagic

CJROSS

Mr_Sukebe

I hope it sounds better than the old one. I was so un-impressed that I returned mine for a refund. IIRC, it sounded worse than my old Marantz CDP.

CJROSS

I hope it sounds better than the old one. I was so un-impressed that I returned mine for a refund. IIRC, it sounded worse than my old Marantz CDP.
Mr Sukebe, funnily enough looking at your system "ancilliaries" it goes without reason that you wont like the new CA DAC. Never mind the old one :smashin: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

CJROSS

evans

Novice Member
Looks like a good budget DAC like the Beresford; does anyone know any shops online that stock them? Cant find any reviews yet just specs which look good for the price.

Mr_Sukebe

Mr Sukebe, funnily enough looking at your system "ancilliaries" it goes without reason that you wont like the new CA DAC. Never mind the old one :smashin: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.
CJ, whilst the new one might be great (after all the CA CDPs get good reviews), the old DACmagic that I bought was compared against a Marantz CD52se, using some fairly cheap components, certainly not what I have now. As mentioned, I actually preferred the Marantz.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Respect to CA for breaking out from the norm and bringing out a dedicated DAC. :smashin:

I'm aware it's all about the impletation of DACs but I notice it shares the same dacs as the 640cV2. I had this for a while, a lovely sound with great soundstaging... I wasn't pleased with the bass though which appeared rather bloated. Perhaps this will have improved in that area.

I still have their old Dacmagic 2mk2 and although I don't use it any more, it was a super budget upgrade for the time. Times have changed however as upgrades have lead me to move further towards an integrated AV setup, I hope Cambridge Audio as company continue to release a wider range of products, an AV Processor with HD audio, eq, bass management, quality dacs and pre-amp stage would be rather nice. :D

Last edited:

trailer

Novice Member
Having heard the Beresford I would say that for an £80 premium it will have to sound pretty good. Mind you the Beresford isn't sold in Richers.

CJROSS

Having heard the Beresford I would say that for an £80 premium it will have to sound pretty good. Mind you the Beresford isn't sold in Richers.
Trailer the CA has both XLR outputs & USB input. Worthy of an £80 hike I reckon. I owned the Beresford MkVI lovely sounding thing for the money. I also owned the origibal CA DACMagic 2i II again a nice solid DAC for the money. CA deserve some kudos for bringing a device like this to the party for the money (a pair of audiopghile ICs) it is a bargain even before one hears it. It's price may hinder it though in the audiophile community.

trailer

Novice Member
Trailer the CA has both XLR outputs & USB input. Worthy of an £80 hike I reckon. I owned the Beresford MkVI lovely sounding thing for the money. I also owned the origibal CA DACMagic 2i II again a nice solid DAC for the money. CA deserve some kudos for bringing a device like this to the party for the money (a pair of audiopghile ICs) it is a bargain even before one hears it. It's price may hinder it though in the audiophile community.
Fair point.

I was just going on the sound quality but you are correct the USB input especially would appeal to folk. The point I made about Richer Sounds is that the CA will automatically get a bigger market exposure.

wicker_man

This certainly does look interesting. I am considering purchasing a DAC at a later date, as I use my MacBook Pro as my main source.

For music, I could use the USB connection through the DAC going straight to my NAD C370 for music.

Then at a later date when I get an AV receiver and surround speakers (using the NAD to drive the fronts), I could use the optical output from my MacBook Pro, going through the DAC into the AV receiver for movies.

Last edited:

CJROSS

CJ, whilst the new one might be great (after all the CA CDPs get good reviews), the old DACmagic that I bought was compared against a Marantz CD52se, using some fairly cheap components, certainly not what I have now. As mentioned, I actually preferred the Marantz.
I had my DACMagic hooked up to the Primare A30.1 balanced XLR connections, then into the Dynaudio Contours also had it unbalanced RCA in my old Sony ES & HK amps & the Diapasons. Sounded perfectly decent with those components. In fact I have found that trying old DACs out that you can buy cheaply with higher end gear has been an eye opener when used with higher quality components.

evans

Novice Member
might be awhile yet before any reviews come out by users or whatever since the dacmagic is not even shown on cambridge audio site when i checked yesterday.

CJROSS

£199 for the CA, pick up a used Primare A30.1 II for £600-700 a fully balanced Amp & Source for £900 or Even the CA 840P £750 new still under £1000. Excellent pricing !!!, I have the little CA 640P phono stage and it’s build quality is astonishing up there with my old Naim Stageline, this thing looks exactly the same build wise from the PDF.

B

Ben Beaumont

Respect to CA for breaking out from the norm and bringing out a dedicated DAC. :smashin:

I'm aware it's all about the impletation of DACs but I notice it shares the same dacs as the 640cV2. I had this for a while, a lovely sound with great soundstaging... I wasn't pleased with the bass though which appeared rather bloated. Perhaps this will have improved in that area.

I still have their old Dacmagic 2mk2 and although I don't use it any more, it was a super budget upgrade for the time. Times have changed however as upgrades have lead me to move further towards an integrated AV setup, I hope Cambridge Audio as company continue to release a wider range of products, an AV Processor with HD audio, eq, bass management, quality dacs and pre-amp stage would be rather nice. :D
The new DacMagic is based around the 740C, using the same twin Wolfson DACs and ATF upsampling techology. This will be an excellent upgrade to many systems, bringing people's digital music to life.

Adam Shaw

Novice Member
The new DacMagic is based around the 740C, using the same twin Wolfson DACs and ATF upsampling techology. This will be an excellent upgrade to many systems, bringing people's digital music to life.
If you hadn't guessed, he works for us here at Cambridge Towers

Adam Shaw

Novice Member
He also needs a picture of a monkey in his profile. I shall see if he's recovered from last weekends hangover yet.

Kane D Williams

Novice Member
The DACMagic is limited to 16/48 files via USB I believe. That's a shame, as this would make it a GIANT KILLER otherwise.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 2nd December 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Klipsch announces four Cinema soundbars for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson adds Connect 250 streaming amp to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces XR series Hi-Fi products
  • By Andy Bassett