• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Cambridge CXN streaming from laptop

Chalklands

Hi,
Is there anyway of streaming (via blutooth I presume) from a laptop to the CXN? I'm currently using MusicBee on my laptop. I have a CAMBRIDGE AUDIO BT100 connected to the CXN, but it won't pair with my laptop. Maybe this can't be done, or I'm looking at the wrong solution, or there are some settings I need to change. Any ideas?

Thanks

Pete

Cebolla

The Cambridge Audio CXN has a built-in standard UPnP/DLNA streamer, so you may be able to get MusicBee to get the CXN itself to stream & play the audio files directly from your laptop, if you install the UPnP/DLNA device support plugin addon for MusicBee (turns MusicBee into a UPnP/DLNA controller as well as a UPnP/DLNA media server) and therefore no need for Bluetooth:
UPnP/ DLNA device support - Plugins | MusicBee

Chalklands

Hi Cebolla,
Thanks for your help.
I've downloded the UPnP addin. Using the Cambridge audio app on my smartphone, I can play music if I select 'MusicBee Media Library' on my smartphone, but I can't control this from MusicBee on my laptop Any ideas how I can select from MusicBee on my laptop?

Thanks

Pete

Cebolla

By default the UPnP/DLNA device support plugin should enable its UPnP/DLNA media server, which is what is providing the 'MusicBee Media Library' that you were able to access on the Cambridge audio app. It should also enable its UPnP/DLNA controller, which would allow you to control any UPnP/DLNA streamer, including the CXN, from MusicBee itself.

Have you checked the plugin's settings to make sure its UPnP/DLNA controller has been set (the 'enable MusicBee to play to a UPnP device' option)? If it has been set, your CXN should appear on MusicBee's list of output devices for you to select (eg, from the 'Output To' pop up menu item when you right click the playback control bar, normally at the bottom of the screen) and therefore allow you to hopefully control the CXN's playback.

BTW, unlike some other UPnP/DLNA controllers, it looks like the plugin's UPnP/DLNA controller does not support gapless playback. However, its developer has provided a work around 'output as a continuous flow' sub-option which may work with your CXN. Unfortunately, I've yet to find any UPnP/DLNA device that works properly (if at all) with that continuous flow setting!

Last edited:

Chalklands

Thanks Cebolla!
I followed your instructions and it seems to be working fine now. I can send music from my laptop to the CXN whilst controlling from my laptop.

Only a small thing, and I may have to create a new thread for this. I can send music from MusicBee to the CXN, but if I try mirrowing my laptop to my Sany Bravia smart TV at the same time, the mirroring works but sound to the CXN stops. Is there a setting somewhere I need to change?

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Chalklands

Found a solution. Noticed my laptop has an HDMI socket, so got a long HDMI cable and connected to a spare socket on my TV. Perfect. I can now stream wirelessly from MusicBee to the CXN and simultaneously display MusicBee on my TV.

Chalklands

Also,
I downloaded the 'MusicBee Remote' addin and can now control MusicBee using the app on my smartphone/tablet. Also, I found the windows 'Extend' function, which allows me to use my TV screen as a second monitor, so I can now display MusicBee on my TV whilst using my laptop normally. Perfect for me.

Pete

Cebolla

Hi Pete

Thanks for the update.

BTW, how did you set up the UPnP plugin's control point in the end - does the gapless (output as a continuous stream) option work with the CXN?

John

Chalklands

Hi Johm,
To be perfectly honest with you, I can't actually remember exactly what I did! I think I copied the addin into my MusicBee addin folder. Then right clicked on the MusicBee 'now playing' bar at the bottom of the screen, which allowed me to select 'Output to' and then select 'CXNv2'. Everything seems to be peachy.

Pete

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom