Cambridge cxn set up advise.

Mij29

Established Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some advice on getting the best from the Cambridge cxn player.

It has twin dac's built in. I'm thinking what is the best way to set this up. Here's my thinking, please correct me or advise me if this is the wrong way.

So I'm pairing it with the cxa80.
My other components are the TV and a CD carrier.
Would it be best to run the TV and CD carrier into the cxn via coax/optical cable then out of the cxn into the amp via rca out for the best sound and use of the dac's, or is there a better way?

Thanks.

I would connect the TV and CD Transport direct to the amp. The CXN can be connected either by the balanced or unbalanced connection. Unbalanced RCA would be my preference as there is little to be gained using the balanced unless it is a long run.

It would be pointless putting everything through the CXN as it would be just adding another link in the chain unless the DACs onboard are superior to that in the amp, which I doubt. It would also save firing up the CXN when you just want to watch TV or play CDs. There's no better way, per se, just more convienience.

:eek:
I would connect the TV and CD Transport direct to the amp. The CXN can be connected either by the balanced or unbalanced connection. Unbalanced RCA would be my preference as there is little to be gained using the balanced unless it is a long run.

It would be pointless putting everything through the CXN as it would be just adding another link in the chain unless the DACs onboard are superior to that in the amp, which I doubt. It would also save firing up the CXN when you just want to watch TV or play CDs. There's no better way, per se, just more convienience.

This what I thought about another link in the chain. Its just the cxn has a dac per channel where the amp only has one dac, but is classed as a dual mono amp... Its all getting a bit confusing

I've found a review where the two are teamed together are it is very enthusiastic. Personally I'm not very good at telling the difference between DACs, it's amps that seem to hit the sweet spot with me, or not. Even though the DACs in the CXN are per channel the results should be the same.

You are going to have to have the same leads whichever way you go. Just try them out and listen for yourself. I think you'll have to have the TV by optical and the player by coax. Whereas both CD and TV could go by optical directly into the amp.

To be honest, I'd have to have a mess around just to satisfy my curiosity although I'm more of an analogue old fart with just a SACD player into a pure analogue Rega Elicit-R amp.

When it comes in the morning I'll be messing about with it for hours.
But my amp is set the same as you advised further up the thread

I have the CXC, CXN & CXA80
The best way for sound (both as advised by Cambridge and as I have personally experienced) is to connect the CXC by digital co-axial to the CXN and then balanced to the CXA80
I also have the CXC connected by optical direct to the CXA80 which saves the hassle of turning on the CXN when playing CDs, however there is a noticeable sound improvement via the CXN

I have the CXC, CXN & CXA80
The best way for sound (both as advised by Cambridge and as I have personally experienced) is to connect the CXC by digital co-axial to the CXN and then balanced to the CXA80
I also have the CXC connected by optical direct to the CXA80 which saves the hassle of turning on the CXN when playing CDs, however there is a noticeable sound improvement via the CXN

OK, thanks for the advice.
The cxc will be my next purchase next month maybe. I'm waiting for an offer to come up... Managed to drop on the cxn today with 50 quid knocked off.

The CXC has an excellent SQ. Those who say all transports sound the same because it's just 1s & 0s are wrong in my actual blind listening experience.

The CXC has an excellent SQ. Those who say all transports sound the same because it's just 1s & 0s are wrong in my actual blind listening experience.

Do.you actually recommend using the xlr then?
I asked in richer sounds today, and they said they didn't make much difference if your not running long lengths of cable.

Yes I do and so does Cambridge.
Cables can be got much more cheaply online from places like Cabling4less and others than Richersounds

Back to your original post I have my tv connected digital straight into the CXA80 dac

Back to your original post I have my tv connected digital straight into the CXA80 dac

Yes, that's how mine is connected at the moment, via optical cable.
Just wondered if it would sound better through the cxn dac with it having two.

Yes, that's how mine is connected at the moment, via optical cable.
Just wondered if it would sound better through the cxn dac with it having two.
Lip sync issues would be my biggest worry if there is the slightest delay would the two separate DACs exacerbate the problem. Sky can be a nightmare on times.

Lip sync issues would be my biggest worry if there is the slightest delay would the two separate DACs exacerbate the problem. Sky can be a nightmare on times.

I don't watch a lot of TV, it's all crap, more into my music. Only really watch Netflix if the mood takes me.
My tv has a feature where you can tune the lip sync. It's spot on going through the amp.
For as often as I use the TV, I may just leave that going to the amp.

Looking at these xlr cables, do you only get one in a pack?
You need l/h and r/h I take it?

£150 in richer sounds... Cambridge do one for £50 but looks like there are only one in a pack

I have TV connected to CXN via optical, CD player to CXN via coaxial. CXN via XLR cables to CXA80. As stated above is what recommended by Cambridge.

I don't have any lip sync issues watching TV.

CXA80 & CXN turn on together anyway as have them connected with the control bus cable.

OK thanks.
I'm setting up as we speak.
I haven't got any xlr's at the moment.
Can I connect with rca for the time being?

And also, do I keep the Bluetooth bt100 connected to the amp or the cxn?

I don't want to plug it in the front... Looks unsightly

Yes, probably won't notice any difference anyway, I just went with the XLRs because they were there :facepalm:

And also, do I keep the Bluetooth bt100 connected to the amp or the cxn?

I don't want to plug it in the front... Looks unsightly
I haven't got the BT100, not sure would matter too much, better streaming over WiFi than Bluetooth whenever you can anyway, should be better quality.

OK cheers.
It doesn't seem to want to pair with my WiFi.
It's just stuck on connecting to......

Technology eh!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom