• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Cambridge CXN 'connect app' problems

SOUNDSTYLE

Hi

Recently bought a Cambridge CXN media player and at the moment have a external harddrive connected to the rear.

I have a Android 5.1 Moto G mobile running the Cambridge connect app, but I've found it crashes a lot, some of the folders are showing the album cover of a different album, and some folders which should have albums from one artist, are full of albums from other artists.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Is there another app that does the same job as Cambridge connect app, but doesn't have folders jumbled up?

Thanks

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Hi

No direct replacement but an alternative is Bubble UPNP. The free version will give basic functions but enough to navigate the music on the network and play, stop,start, etc. To for other stuff and to create proper playlist you will need to buy the full version, though i think the free versions give you limited tracks on a playlist.

If you have a tablet, i would try the CA app on that. Seems to work better on those than on a smartphone.
CA apps have never been stable, though the Cambridge connect app is a bit more stable than the previous stream magic app they had which is saying something because that was atrocious. Forever crashing at merest hint of the mobile/tablet being used for anything other than CA or at the threat of a screensaver kicking in. A very poor product (the app) from CA that is

Cebolla

Certainly agree with Don Dadda about the merits of using the BubbleUPnP Android app.

However, I don't think you'll be able to use it (nor any other third party UPnP/DLNA controller app for that matter) with the music files contained in the external drive if it's still connected to the back of the CXN. As a UPnP controller, the BubbleUPnP app can only view the music file tracks via a UPnP/DLNA media server. So for example, you'll need to connect the external drive to a networked computer with a UPnP/DLNA media server application running on it, such as the excellent free MinimServer:
MinimServer features

Actually, when network streaming via UPnP/DLNA, the choice of UPnP/DLNA media server is just as important as the UPnP/DLNA controller app. It is the UPnP media server that contains the music library database and provides the structure of the music browse folders, with the (correct) album art, etc.

SOUNDSTYLE

I'm going to buy a NAS in the January sales.
Not sure if to get the Synology DS215j or QNAP TS-251 though.
Never used a NAS before so don't want anything too complicated.

scol78

I use the CXN.I have alley ripped ads on a NAS and a external drive plugged into the rear of the CXN,like yourself.This is just a backup of 600 ripped CDs don't want to be doing that again.Ive used the CA app on an iPhone from the NAS and external drive and have no problems.Ive now installed Linn Kazoo and bubble on a MacBook which is much faster than the CA app

Legzr1

I'm going to buy a NAS in the January sales.
Not sure if to get the Synology DS215j or QNAP TS-251 though.
Never used a NAS before so don't want anything too complicated.

You could do a lot worse than a Synology NAS - a very polished product but try to get a + model rather than the stripped out J. I use a 214+ with a CA 851N and a SM6 - install minimserver on the NAS and the connect app is lightening fast.
I'm approaching 4000 albums and refreshing the library or searching via artist/album takes around 2 seconds - scrolling though albums is instantaneous.

Slick, stable and smooth using an iPad as controller.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom