1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Azur 640H Music Server

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by supo, Aug 27, 2005.

1. supo

supo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. monkeyWRENCH

monkeyWRENCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    This is taken from the CA forum...

3. akainth

akainth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 640H Music Server yesterday from Richer Sounds for £600. So I thought I would come online and share the experience.

Took it out the box, and it looks like a serious and stylish bit of kit! Goes well with my 640A amp and 640T DAB tuner, although Cambridge Audio lack the attention to detail on the front facia by putting their logos in a different position to those on the amp and tuner (ok a small point, but attantion to detail is important when you pay a lot of money for a quality product). So anyway, I connected it up, and it was fairly easy to configure. Unfortunatly it doesnt come with built in wirless, so I had to wire my wireless router up to the back of the unit. Connecting to the internet was again straight forward... however, be warned, you cant configure this machine (or appreciate its functionality) without plugging a monitor into the back of it! Then we come to their so called AuidoFile GUI, which is again quite simple to navigate around, but this is where the problems start creeping out. I dont know what it is, but the unit became very slugish and slow, and the GUI hangs, so you are sitting there, trying to acess your music track quickly, instead you'r waiting 5 minutes for the thing to stop hanging.... I had to switch it on and off from the mains switch a couple of times too. I dont know, maybe it is the processor they have used? or maybe the GUI software they have developed?

Needless to say the sound quailty from the CD player is quite amazing, as it uses the same Wolfson WM8740 24-bit/ 192kHz DAC as the 640C, the quaility of the internet radio obviously depends on the broadcast, but is generaly not of very good quality. The quaility of the audio files depends on which and how much compression has been applied. Also, it took a dogs age to update its library with 4Gb of iTunes from my PC, have no idea what its doing (downloading the whole file? downloading a link?). However, even if every aspect of the sound quality was outstanding, the unit is still let down by the constant crashes I mentioned. Which is why I will be returning mine to Richer Sounds for a refund, and will wait for the CA unit to mature, or look for a better quality product....