1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Azur 640 - too harsh? help!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by bluebodywarmer, May 23, 2005.

1. bluebodywarmer

bluebodywarmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Cambridge 640 CD player based on the impressive reviews alone.

I hooked this up to my RA-O1 Rotel amp (+Cambridge Audio Arctic interconnects) with B&W 602 S3's and found it to have impressively clear and clean sound. However I did notice the clinical accuracy and brightness of the top end frequencies to be a little intrusive on my ears, especially on vocal tracks (most notably on the Massive Attack - Blue Lines album).

It became very harsh to listen to after about 30 minutes of testing out various cds from my collection and I gave up listening! I swapped over to my £400 Nad T562 DVD player for a comparison and the sound was an instant improvement, with a smoother delivery at the top end.

I still want a dedicated CD source because using the NAD DVD is not practical for my set up at home.

Is there a way i solve the harshness of sound by upgrading the interconnects? Or is it the Rotel amp that is causing me problems?

I'm also considering whether to chuck some more cash at the problem and just upgrade to an Arcam CD73T that may be a little more refined.

what do you think is the best solution?

cheers!

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    You might be able to sort this with interconnects but I always found the Rotel/ B&W 600 combo a bit bright for me with anything- the 640C isn't that bright but I think you may find with anything other than the very warm NAD DVD players, you'll find quite a few CD players a bit on the sharp side.

3. bluebodywarmer

bluebodywarmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice! :smashin:

4. cedric

cedric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had a similar problem with my kit --a tad bright and changed my interconnect to a van den hul mk3 ---very different sound!!
    A lot more bass and changed the brightness at the the top end

5. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    If it is a brand new player give it chance to run in. Most players can sound quite harsh over the first couple of weeks playing (mine has taken 6 weeks to bed in properly).
    Also leave it turned if you can.

Once you've done this if it is still harsh then it would be worth looking at the cables and as stated Van Den Hull would probably be a good start

6. bluebodywarmer

bluebodywarmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is all good stuff thanks guys :thumbsup:

7. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I can certainly vouch for the Arcam CD73 as when demoing other stuff at that sort of price range that machine was by far the warmest and natural sounding one about.
    This product is also very good at slightly reducing the harshness of some CD's albeit some might refer to the term snake oil!! but i find it helps.http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA2765056905984QSEVLIJKGQRZHIMI

inteconnects are important but be carefull you dont just choose one that masks the problem.

Try this almost free tip first. Buy some contact cleaner from Maplins and clean all connections from CD player right through to the speaker plugs and binding posts not forgetting the fuse in the mains plug and plug pins. Hopefully this will also help reduce harshness slightly.

8. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a friend that sprays his CD's (akin to PWoods suggestion). Personally I cannot hear a difference, but my friend swears by it. Good luck.