1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Azur 540R - Question re: stereo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by brookesboy, Jul 14, 2005.

1. brookesboy

brookesboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question regarding the Cambridge Azur 540R AV.

Just upgraded to this AV amplifer after checking various reviews and scouring these pages for recommendations (seemed to best at it's price by a distance). So far (I've had it about 3 weeks) and have been impressed with it's performance when playing cds in stereo, very happy in fact, however
    am experiencing some problems when playing dvds.

I'm in the process of building up my home cinema set, and at present only have the two front stereo speakers (no centre, rears etc but coming soon).

Basically what I'm finding is that whilst cd's are playing with plenty of power, when I play a dvd, the power seems to lessen- hence I have to wack up the volume. With my previous stereo amp the sound quality was pretty much identical for both dvds and cds when put through two channels. I've had a bit of a play around but can't seem to work out what's up. Any suggestsions or will this sort itself once I get the centre, rears etc??

Perhaps Chedmaster can throw a bit of light on this, being the AV Forums Azur aficionado! Thanks guys.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Im here!

First of all check you have Center and SL/SR and SB set to none in speaker setup mode:

press spk setup repeatedly to get to Centre or C i think, and press + or - (not volume/tune just + or - buttons) to change from small/big to none. Do the same for sl/sr and sb.

Whilst your here check fl/fr are set to large, and press Sub ON/OFF and toggle to display WOOFER NO. This means everything gets chucked at the stereo speakers.

Secondly, the details are hazey as to the power output in 5.1 mode, but in stereo it is a full 100 watts RMS, in 6.1 it definately drops to 80 watts, and seeing as the volume isn't effected when i turn my surround back off, i assume its 80 watts in 5.1 as well.

This means that if you follow the instructions above, you will be in surround mode (80wpc) without the centre/rears. However if you want you can press the Stereo button and I think you will get the full 100wpc then.

I know what you mean though, -37 or -38db is my CD listening level, -27 to -34db for DVDs, they vary wildely.

3. brookesboy

brookesboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions Chedmaster - will give it a go tonight and see how it goes.

4. brookesboy

brookesboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I'm here - does anyone have any suggestions for a centre and a couple of rear speakers for a budget of around £150-175. Realise I've not got a lot to play with but any advice much appreciated.

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i had about the same budget, and got the gale 3030c and 3060b bipolar rears from richer sounds, and i have no desire to upgrade at the moment, they are very very good for the price.

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    by the way £70 for each so within budget.