Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Cambridge Azur 540r or Pioneer VSX-D814 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dan-london, Apr 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dan-london

dan-london

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Toshiba RDXS34 DVD Recorder.

I have an amplifier for my hi-fi but it is really dying and I need a new one. So I'd like to get an amp that will work well for both music and films.

In terms of music I mostly listen to music through my iPod. But I also have all my music on the original CDs, and we might also use the DVD recorder to listen to the music on CDs.

So I'm wondering which receiver to buy. I was planning to get a Cambridge Azur 640A before it occured to me that I should get one that works well for my DVD player too. So I was thinking maybe I should opt for the Cambridge Azur 540R. The Pioneer VSX-D814 also seems to have good reviews, although it seems like a bit of a big lump!

In terms of performance which would you all recommend?

Otherwise is there an alternative in this price region that you would recommend?

Thanks,

Dan

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    for me, the cambridge audio all the way, its absolutely stunning for music and nearly as good for movies, and much more powerful than the said pioneer.

3. dan-london

dan-london

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there an input that will work for plugging in a record player on the Azur 540R ?!

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes you can, but you would also need to buy an external phono stage, richer sounds sell one, and i would imagine there are loads on an ever so famous auction site. i think this is the case with all av amps as turntables are more hifi enthusiast equipment in these modern cd days.