Cambridge Azur 540R how to connect?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 999dom999, Aug 11, 2005.

1. 999dom999

999dom999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi ok Im totally new to this but looking at getting a home cinema set up. Connecting up is something I'm not sure on.

I am blown away by the Panasonic TH42PV500 I have seen in Dixons and John Lewis, playing normal dvd and HD, this is the one for me.

Due to that being so much (not buying it from either of those shops btw :) )
    I have to spend less on the sound for the moment, so I'm looking at the Cambridge Azur 540R from Richer sounds and the Tannoy FX5.1 speakers, read reviews both seem pretty good.

I have a dvd player with every connector imaginable on the back, a PVR soon to get probably Inverto - IDL-7000T and a vcr, and a pc. but don't worry about the last 2 not that bothered about them.

I see that the Azur 540r has video inputs I had assumed that these receivers were just for audio, so do I connect everything into the 540r then a single connection to the plasma?

So my question is what type of connections (audio and video) do I use between the 540r and plasma and which to the dvd and pvr? Also which connections on the back of the 540r do I use for the speakers and sub? With this setup how should the 540r be set?

Thanks for any help and any advise on the kit I have chosen?
    :thumbsup:

2. 999dom999

999dom999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    anyone?

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    First of all the Azur doesn't upconvert (i.e. change any type of video signal to any other eg s-video to component). In my experience it also struggles with progressive scan signals, not enough bandwidth I think.
    This isn't really a problem for you because you will only have one component source (DVD).
    Just use the AMP for audio: Optical (or Coax no real difference) from DVD player to cover all 5.1 channels of sound. No other audio cables needed from DVD. Just connect either of these to either the DVD optical on back or DVD coax and select DVD on the front of azur. Then use "input select" to tell it which signal you are using (analogue-no, coax or opt-yes).
    Use Analogue out from PV500 to AMP, maybe video 1 or video 2 whichever you prefer, to get sound through the amp for TV viewing.
    Same as above for PVR, unless it has optical as well then use video 1 or vid 2 optical.

For speakers you use the screw termials, probably just bare wire to start with, stick it in and screw it up to a tight fit. later you may use banana plugs, in which case just pull the pin out from the speaker terminal and screw em up.

For sub, from the "6.1 pre-out" on the back, connect a phono cable (or special "sub" cable) to the low level input on the sub.

Using "spk setup" and the + and - keys make sure all speakers are set to small and (using "sub on/off") that the sub is switched on.

As for video, dvd by component to TV
    PVR by scart (Rgb) to one of the RGB scart sockets that has output as well, no experience with the pv500 here. and if you want vcr and pc will both just plug in to plasma easily.

all will become obvious when you get the amp.

4. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I use the component switch on the 540r an haven't noticed any problems as yet.

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    try the beginning of saving private ryan (its 16:9 as opposed to 2.35:1 letterbox - less bandwidth). On mine i see tearing at the top of the frame when using progressive scan. if you don't have SPR try any film with explosions really (preferably 16:9 as its very obvious then)

6. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Well I just watched the whole of 24 which had plenty of explosions :D and it all looked perfect to me. I'll try an get SPR an give it a go.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    maybe its just mine then. what cables are you using?

8. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
  9. 999dom999

999dom999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers!! when I get it all set up I will post back and let you know how it all goes!