Cambridge AXR100 + CCA to Marantz PM7000n: sideways step?

wickermania

Hello everyone.

Am currently running a Chromecast audio via spidif into a Cambridge AXR100 receiver. Whilst the results strike me as generally excellent I nonetheless find myself entertaining ‘what if’ type thoughts on the subject of upgrading. To that end I’ve been looking at the Marantz PM7000n and am wondering what level of appreciable upgrade (audible upgrade, that is - I appreciate the Marantz might offer some elements of improved functionality) to expect?

I have 3 CCA’s and none seem able to stream at above CD quality without dropping out - a common issue, as I understand it, and the main reason I’m wondering about something with an integrated streamer. On the other hand, I’m not in a hurry to double my outlay in return for what I suspect might be a less than clear improvement.

Source is Amazon music unlimited; speakers Klipsch rp6000f’s.

If someone wants to tell me to keep my money in my pocket then I’d have zero objection to doing so.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

muljao

Does better than cd quality matter? I don't think so (but that's just me).

I bought a Bluetooth device recently (ifi zen blue). This has no relevance to your question but this thing "only" does Bluetooth, but sounds as good as anything I've heard, making me wonder about how important the very high resolution music is.

I would keep my money in your place

wickermania

Hi

yes, that’s a big chunk of what’s giving me pause. Assuming little-to-no audible difference on the basis of resolution alone, then I suppose my question becomes, are the dac in the pm7000n and the characteristics of the amp enough (alone with some extra functionality and the convenience of all-in-one integration) to justify the upgrade? Or am I wrestling with an unwarranted bout of upgraditis?

I have a feeling I might be answering my own question.

Last edited:

muljao

Hi

yes, that’s a big chunk of what’s giving me pause. Assuming little-to-no audible difference on the basis of resolution alone, then I suppose my question becomes, are the dac in the pm7000n and the characteristics of the amp enough (alone with some extra functionality and the convenience of all-in-one integration) to justify the upgrade? Or am I wrestling with an unwarranted bout of upgraditis?

I have a feeling I might be answering my own question.
Id guess the only way you'll know if it's worth it is by direct comparison, but if it isn't broke and all that....

gava

AFAIK the only way to stream HD music from the PM7000N is via Qobuz into DLNA on the amp. I don't believe Amazon HD will stream at HD via Heos. (I'm not 100% sure however).

Even though the Marantz is very nice, I suspect there are better ways of spending £1,000.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom