1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Shoka, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I'm thinking of buying a cambridge audio M1 enhanced remote to take over from all mine, I'll be using it for my TV, DVD, DVD recorder, Amp, and if it will work my Tivo. does anyone know if it will work with all these? And if its any good.

2. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    They're Ok as far as they go, but you can't change the basic screen layout and your're limited as to what you can put on the buttons in the way of descriptions.

A mate of mine bough one, then bought a Pronto a few months later.

3. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I take it that the pronto is much better then, seen as all the threads in this forum are about the pronto. Do you know what the differences are between the two and do either of them work with Tivo?

4. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'fraid I can't answer your question about Tivo, but as long as it's a conventional IR signal presumeably any learning remote could do it (but I realise that is an assumption because I believe some people have had problems with ITV digiboxes).
    I know people seem very much in love with their Prontos and their capabilities are huge - I guess the biggest difference in my mind is that they're totally configurable in layout and appearance whereas the cheaper remotes aren't.
    However, I have to say that the biggest factor that influenced my own personal choice was that I like "real" buttons not software ones - they just seem so much easier to use/find etc.
    Consequently (and I didn't want to spend £250!) I brought the Cambridge Audio M500 from Richer Sounds and I'm chuffed to bits with it. I would still trade it's total capacity in terms of buttons and programming for slightly different labelling however - eg they've strangely labelled the green, red, yellow, blue buttons with the Sky "services", "box office" "TV guide" etc instead of using the 10's of other available buttons.
    Still, for what I want it's great and has about 15 macros with 20 steps for turning all your stuff on and off etc.

I'm a major gadget freak and I think it's mainly that which initially attracted me to the Pronto - I can't help feeling that it's incredible capability may kind of get in the way of it's useability for a lot of people.

Simon