Cambridge Audio V500 Digital Processor

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Rambo John J, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,794
    I don't usually ask for technical advice due to the fact that most of the time I don't understand the answers, but I spotted the latest advert for Richer Sounds in the back of What HiFi and it got me thinking....

This Cambridge Audio processor. What's it all about? It's only £80, that's £270 off the retail price, and I'm someone that's never got round to upgrading from Pro-Logic as I don't want to get a whole new amp/reciever set-up. If I was to buy a processor it'd plug into my existing AV amp easily enough wouldn't it?
    I've just never got round to the upgrade and this sounds like a good short cut until I really "need" to get a new amp, which won't be for quite a while yet as mine's only 2-3 years old.

Can anyone help with either some specs on this contraption (they haven't got any listed on either the Richers site or in the advert) or just a simple answer as to whether it'll wire into my DPL system without any major problems. I'm assuming it will, but being dumb, I'd like to be sure.

Thanks a lot.

------------------
    I don't believe in voodoo...

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    This Cambridge Audio decoder is essentially just a Denon AVD 2000 DD decoder. Snap it up!

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

3. Stick

Stick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Bit of a bargain that, get one soon!, a friend of mine has one partnered with a cambridge amp(into the tape loop i think!) and it sounds good. No DTS coding on board but it is DTS ready, (i.e it will take 6 'discrete' phono lead inputs from your dvd player-providing that has an onboard DTS decoder).
    Go to http://www.cambridgeaudio.com
    and look under products then accessories or you can download the brochure. All the specs should be here. (though when i had looked the network was so busy that it would not load the webpage properly)
    Why not ask the staff at Richer Sounds to set one up for you?, I have found my local branch really helpful and would be able to answer any questions you might have. (No, I do not work for them!!- I just recommend them for there customer care. and of course their prices!!)

Hope this helps,

Stick.

[This message has been edited by Stick (edited 14-02-2001).]

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,794
    Thanks.
    I couldn't get the Cambridge site to work either so I couldn't get the specs. I checked out the review of the Denon here, but it leads me to believe I'd need a 6 channel direct input on my existing amp to make this set-up work. Does anyone know if thet's the case or am I just getting confused as usual?

Thanks again

------------------
    I don't believe in voodoo...

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    If your prologic amp does not have a 6 channel input the external decoder/processor will be of no use to you.