Cambridge Audio universal player???

O

Ovation

I was in a Montreal audio shop today and the manager told me Cambridge Audio is releasing a universal player later this year. Anyone know anything about this?

They are optioning a universal solution they could conceivably arrive in Q4 2004 but that is as much as they're saying.

Only that the solution is still under development- the SACD bit is fine but there is an increasing need for a HD output of one kind or another. Work on Cambridge DVD's is a shared business between them and a freelance software house which means that it isn't as fast as a 100% in house or an off the shelf business.

While waiting on the Cambridge (and contemplating separate DVD-A and SACD players despite the extra cables and switchboxes involved) another option has presented itself. I've got an opportunity to go for a Marantz DV6400 at a good discount, but only for a short time. I'm curious as to how its audio section compares with Cambridge. Pros for the Marantz are the universal aspect of playback, Cambridge has good CD and video (interlaced, can't use prog scan). No one carries both brands around here so I'm unable to A/B them directly (my kit is in storage for a few months while we house hunt, so I can't take them home and do the A/B there). I was pretty set on going with the Cambridge and waiting on SACD (would really like to go with universal Cambridge, but can't wait until 2005) as there were no universal options I liked that fit my budget until I saw the Marantz and the Yamaha S1500 (which will also bear consideration). Any feedback on the Marantz would be appreciated, esp. reliablity, build quality, interlaced picture quality. I'm also considering the Marantz CD5400 as a standalone player (other choices are NAD 521BEE or Cambridge 540C).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom