• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 or Onkyo A9010

So, what shall I do

• Keep the Topaz AM10 & Onkyo C7030

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Get an Onkyo A9010 to match the C7030

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DemonTraitor

A few months ago I purchased a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 for my Turntable. Just wanted a half decent budget separate...

Yesterday I decided to purchase a CD Player too, and went for the Topaz CD10 (for obvious reasons).

Well, while I was in the shop (Richer Sounds), the staff convinced me to get a Onkyo C7030, which was reduced to £199, but he kindly matched the Topaz CD10 price of £179 :eek:

So, I am proper pleased with the unit, but it obviously does not match my AM10, so, looking into Onkyo I saw the A9010 is proper rated, so now I am wondering whether to just keep what I have, or get the A9010???

I am so crap at decision making. Help me lol

muljao

Buy some CDs to play on your new system, preferably cheap ones in the charity shop so you can get lots :)

Adamgbiggs

As above, keep what you have and buy some music to enjoy.

Adam.

DemonTraitor

Thanks guys. Just killed me to see the Onkyo was award winning at the same price I bought the CA... typical lol

muljao

Adamgbiggs

Thanks guys. Just killed me to see the Onkyo was award winning at the same price I bought the CA... typical lol
Just because it has awards don’t make your CA any worse, tbh there really wouldn’t be much difference if any at all changing amps, I wouldn’t worry and enjoy what you have.

Adam.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Answer -

Yamaha AS301 Integrated w/DAC, 60w/ch - £189 -

https://petertyson.co.uk/yamaha-a-s301-integrated-amplifier

Yamaha AS301 (Silver)

The Cambridge Topaz AM10 is 35w/ch. No DAC.

The Onkyo, if I remember right, is 44w/ch. No DAC in the UK.

The Yamaha is a solid 60w/ch with DAC.

With a budget under £200, I'm not sure you can do better than the Yamaha AS301.

If you want more amp, though perhaps a bit less quality, then the Yamaha RS202 amp has 100w/ch and Bluetooth -

Yamaha RN202D Receiver, DAB Radio, (no phono, no DAC), 100w/ch, Bluetooth - £199

Yamaha RS202D (Black)

Steve/bluewizard

DemonTraitor

It actually d
Answer -

Yamaha AS301 Integrated w/DAC, 60w/ch - £189 -

https://petertyson.co.uk/yamaha-a-s301-integrated-amplifier

Yamaha AS301 (Silver)

The Cambridge Topaz AM10 is 35w/ch. No DAC.

The Onkyo, if I remember right, is 44w/ch. No DAC in the UK.

The Yamaha is a solid 60w/ch with DAC.

With a budget under £200, I'm not sure you can do better than the Yamaha AS301.

If you want more amp, though perhaps a bit less quality, then the Yamaha RS202 amp has 100w/ch and Bluetooth -

Yamaha RN202D Receiver, DAB Radio, (no phono, no DAC), 100w/ch, Bluetooth - £199

Yamaha RS202D (Black)

Steve/bluewizard

Would a separate DAC be better? I guess that would go between the amp and speakers?

muljao

It actually d

Would a separate DAC be better? I guess that would go between the amp and speakers?
A dac is for when you have a digital source that you need to decode to analog. It doesn't go between amp and speakers, you likely don't need it at this point or you could not play the sources you have.

It's very easy to spend money on very small difference in quality. If you find your setup lacks somewhere, then is the time to see if an upgrade would help.

I'd say you'd be as well off to keep what you have.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
It actually d

As has been pointed out, a DAC goes between a Digital Source, and the Amp. The most common Digital Source is the TV, you connect the Digital Optical Audio Out of the TV to the Optical Input on the Amp.

There are other ways in which a DAC can be used, but for most people, it is for the TV.

Don't NOT buy the amp simply because it has a DAC and you don't need one. The Yamaha AS301 is still a good amp, whether you use the DAC or not.

And for a budget under £200, there are limited choices, and of those limited choices, Yamaha represents the best value.

As to your question, would an external DAC be better, yes, and it would cost as much if not more than the Amp itself. With a limited budget of £200, the Yamaha is Best Value.

If you can scrape up some more money, the consider the Yamaha AS501 with 85w/ch and a DAC. Priced at about £260 -

https://petertyson.co.uk/yamaha-a-s501-integrated-amplifier

Still your best value.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

DemonTraitor

I was thinking the same to be honest. I was reading into it and was thinking, well, the CD player has a DAC so surely that's that... The post about looking at the Yamaha cos it has a DAC completely threw me and I felt like I was trying to rewrite the laws of physics haha. My head no longer hurts

I do love yamaha though. I've always had a Yamaha AV and will most probably continue to buy them.

Thanks everyone!

rowan1981

Novice Member
I personally owned a Cambridge Audio AM5. I was not very impressed with the sound, but then again for the 100 quid i paid for it, you can not really complain. However, i must say i found the sound to be very forward, especially in the higher mid range and high frequencies, which resulted in a very fatiguing listening experience. I also found that the Soundstage felt compressed with this amplifier. So, i decided to sell it after a few months and bought a Marantz pm5005, which sound wise is night and day when compared with the Cambridge Audio. The Marantz opened up the soundtsage, has better bass extension & sounds a lot more rhythmic and detailed without sounding fatiguing .

So, if you have the cash, then invest another 100 pounds or so, and upgrade to something better. I have not heard any other amps around the 200 pound mark, so i can not really recommend any other than a Marantz.

In terms of DAC's, there are plenty of decent DAC's out there for around 100 pounds or less less.

I own the SMSL Sanskrit-6, which is a great little DAC- https://www.amazon.co.uk/SMSL-Sanskrit-6-Silver-Audio-Decoder-silver/dp/B0132HW1JA

Another option for around 65 pounds https://www.amazon.co.uk/Decoder-Am...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QXS9FVWRHZSAMA8PQNGD

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I personally owned a Cambridge Audio AM5. I was not very impressed .... after a few months and bought a Marantz pm5005, which sound wise is night and day ...

The Marantz PM5005 Amp is not outside the general price range at about £180 -

Marantz PM5005 Amplifier - Superfi

But it only has 45w/ch. Though I must say, I went for years, especially during my party years, with a 45w/ch Pioneer Amp, it did everything I demanded of it. So, despite being on the modest side, 45w/ch is sufficient to get the job done .... unless you were planning to throw a RAVE.

But, the Yamaha is 60w/ch and has a DAC, which you might not need now, but you might need at some point in the future, and it is pretty much the same price. I think the current lowest price is from PeterTyson.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom