Quantcast

Cambridge Audio - Tidal

Charelston

Novice Member
I have one question. Is it possible to play Tidal in Cambridge Audio CXN media streamer? Is it via Chromcast or is it possible directly via CA app?

Thx!

NottsMFC

Yes, and can via CA app.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member

* Spotify Connect, TIDAL and Qobuz built in

Steve/bluewizard

Charelston

Novice Member
Thank you. What I have learned, that Tidal is possible, but not in master quality, as MQA is not working (it is, if you run Tidal over laptop, which is not convenient). Is that true?

NottsMFC

Thank you. What I have learned, that Tidal is possible, but not in master quality, as MQA is not working (it is, if you run Tidal over laptop, which is not convenient). Is that true?
Yes, it's true the CXN cannot playback MQA from the mobile app.

CXN MQA

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
TIDAL, even without MAQ, is still playing at CD quality or higher.

As the Decoder is not built in, these files will play at a maximum of 24 Bit/96 kHz. This can still be up-scaled to a superior 24 Bit/384 kHz within the 851N and CXN however.

Keep in mind that NOT all music from Tidal is Master Quality, only a growing list of select artist. So, unless you are listening to those specific artists likely are just getting CD or very near CD quality.

We have over 170,000 tracks from major labels, our TIDAL artist owners, and key independent labels. We will continue to add more master-quality content over time.

That is 170,000 out of 60 Million.

Also, what version of TIDAL do you have - Premium or HiFi?

HiFi audio is a superior sound, but is still limited in its resolution — 44.1 kHz/16 bit.

That is CD quality. MAQ expands that rate, but it does so with a proprietary Compression method.

An authenticated and unbroken sound (typically 96 kHz/24 bit) with the highest possible resolution

Premium streams at 320kbps where as HiFi streams as fast as 1411kpbs -

CD and Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) quality (1411 kbps vs. 320 kbps for standard streaming).

Alot of online Streaming from other sources is done at 128kbps.

Spotify streams at 160kbps, 256kbps, and as high as 320kbps, but use a lossy compression format.
Which of these Bit-Rates you get depends on what device you are streaming to, and what level of Subscription you have.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Charelston

Novice Member
I have HIFI account. There are many masters I am listening today and I'm looking for media streamer that will be able to do so. If CA's CXN have Tidal incorporated I think there will be no problem. I need to test it before.

Thx

Cebolla

TIDAL, even without MAQ, is still playing at CD quality or higher.

As the Decoder is not built in, these files will play at a maximum of 24 Bit/96 kHz. This can still be up-scaled to a superior 24 Bit/384 kHz within the 851N and CXN however.

Keep in mind that NOT all music from Tidal is Master Quality, only a growing list of select artist. So, unless you are listening to those specific artists likely are just getting CD or very near CD quality.
Steve

It appears you ought to a bit more careful researching your TIDAL & MQA info:

1. Without an MQA decoder, the MQA file tracks as currently defined by MQA limited, will only ever be played by the CXN at their undecoded/distribution resolution, which is 24bit/48kHz max. Although this is technically hi-res, it is definitely not the 24bit/96kHz you mentioned.

When you quoted from Cambridge Audio, you 'forgot' to also quote the important paragraph that mentions (I'm paraphrasing) that the 24bit/96kHz max would come from you having to use software on a computer that supports decoding MQA, such as the TIDAL Desktop app, which streams the undecoded/distribution MQA tracks from TIDAL's online server and decodes them for you, then gets to the CXN by it being attached to the computer as its external DAC - so nothing to do with the CXN's own network streaming capabilities via either Chromecast or the CA app, ie, as asked by the OP.

BTW, notice I said technically hi-res, because even though the CXN would be playing those undecoded/distribution MQA file tracks at a 24bit/48kHz max resolution, they are not being decoded, so the actual music content is equivalent to 13-15bit/48kHz max, which is very much 'near' CD quality rather than hi-res - the 'missing' (higher 11-9) bits are used in the MQA encoding so won't produce any meaningful sound and you can just regard them as padding!

2. The TIDAL online server only supplies those undecoded/distribution MQA file tracks to devices (from manufacturers that are MQA partners) that connect to it using login credentials that identify them capable of supporting (& therefore decoding) MQA.
If not, as would happen to the CXN when connecting to TIDAL's online server using the CXN's own CA app, then the TIDAL online server instead supplies a version of the original undecoded/distribution MQA tracks that have been bit-depth reduced/downsampled to CD res at 16bit/44.1kHz.

Since these 'doctored' MQA file tracks aren't even the original undecoded/distribution MQA file tracks, who knows what resolution they are actually equivalent to, so 13-15bit/44.1kHz max if you're lucky.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom