Cambridge Audio S90 Setup Help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Andy3105, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Andy3105

Andy3105

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    :hiya:

I need some help with setting up a Cambridge Audio S90 sub and hope someone here can help.......

Basically I started with a Tannoy SFX5.1 system but the sub blew so I replaced it with this, on the back of the SFX sub the volume and crossover knobs had AV/LFE markings on them so I knew exactly where to set them but this isn't the case with the S90.

I have set the volume and crossover knobs to the same points as the SFX sub and it sounds really good but I can still pinpoint where the LFE is coming from.

I was wondering if I have set it up correctly and if anyone can help me out?

2. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    When used in conjunction with an AVR, you shouldn't really be using the crossover on the sub. Standard practice is to disable the crossover if possible, otherwise to set it to its highest frequency. The AVR will then handle the processing.
    What did you have the sub's crossover set to before? If the AVR's setup is unchanged, and you're now getting directionality that you weren't before, it's possible that you were missing a frequency band before (if the sub's crossover wasn't set high enough for the AVR's), but now you have everything.

As for the volume on the sub, you're best off running the AVR's setup sequence as a first attemps. Then fine-tune it using a test tone (the AVR should emit pink noise or similar on each speaker to heklp you set the levels).

3. Andy3105

Andy3105

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Thanks for you help mate........

Although I am about 10 years into the whole Home Cinema thing, I am still dumbfounded by subs.....

How do you go about disabling a crossover on the sub? I have it set all the way clockwise which mirrors the setting from my old SFX sub however the Audyssey auto setup on my Onkyo 507 always sets the crossover as 100hz which seems wrong when the SFX speakers are rated at the lowest frequency as 140hz.

In regards to the volume side of things, again I have mirrored the SFX sub setup by setting volume to 12 o'clock as it were but I don't know if this is correct.

I can honestly say that I can hear "more" in terms of bass from this sub than the SFX one, the SFX only went down to 50hz but the S90 goes down to 35 so mor einformation is definately present, I just need to know I'm getting the very best that I can out of it.

My head is mangled with all this......

4. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    I just looked up a picture of the back of your sub, and it doesn't look like you can disable it. So turning it all the way clockwise sounds like the right thing to do. (from what I can see on a low-res image, does this say 120Hz?)
    It probably isn't. The position on the volume dial is fairly meaningless. Running the AVR's calibration, or changing the level by ear (or SPL meter) from a test tone is the answer.
    If your speakers only go to 140Hz, then I am surprised the AVR set the crossover to 100Hz. Theoretically there's a 40Hz band you're missing.
    But if the upper bound of the crossover on the sub is 120, you'll still be missing a 20Hz band. So that's not ideal. For really small satellites like yours, you do need a sub that's designed to work with that sort of thing, as it will generally go up higher than 'proper' subs. It will sacrifice quality, depth and volume at the lower end to do this.

If your sub does only go up to 120, then the best you can do is:
    * Set the sub's crossover to its highest setting.
    * Set its level with the test tone.
    * Run auto-calibration and see where you end up
    * Experiment with a few manually-set crossover values.

5. Andy3105

Andy3105

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Thanks

6. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Ok, if the sub says it goes to 180, then you shouldn't have a problem with a missing band at all. The picture I found wasn't a very good one!

Given the info above, I'd just run the calibration first, then set the sub level to your tastes afterwards. (the calibration will overwrite the sub level, but I was just suggesting it before to get the sub's dial in the right area).
    If the calibration sets the sub level incredibly high or low then consider changing the dial on the sub and doing it again.

7. Andy3105

Andy3105

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    One last thing, after running the Audyssey auto calibration, the amp is autmatically set to use the "Audyssey Curve" equalizer, would you suggest switching this off and running without any preset eq for the test tones?