Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Cambridge audio or Pro-ject Phono stage?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Phil.LFC, May 24, 2004.

1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Just wondering if anyone could recommend the best option for connecting a Pro-ject Xpression turntable to one of the CA Azur amps, which I am about to purchase.
    Richer Sounds recommend fitting a CA phono stage to the amp, which they do for £20 when purchasing the amp.
    Or would it be better to buy Pro-jects £45 phono stage?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    If you have the space, an additional stage would make more sense as it can be moved from amp to amp in the future. The Pro-ject one is an excellent stage but remember to budget for an additional interconnect and have a spare mains socket. The proof of the resurgence of these external stages is that Cambridge have two due later this year.
    Ed

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer the Nad PP2 @ £50 much better box and allows upgrade to Moving coil

4. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  5. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if it's too late, but I bought the NAD PP2 when I sold my Yamaha AV receiver (that had a phono input). Surprisingly the sound was much worse, the midrange and trebble seemed to have been castrated (maybe a symptom of the Yam's brightness???). I was connecting this to a Pio 812D AV receiver.

I sold the PP2 and then bought an Arcam Alpha 6 amp (with integrated phono stage) to take over Phono duties for not much more (£70 on ebay), and normal service has been resumed. In retrospect I should have tried the Project first, but I am happy with my current solution, and probably have an overall better sound with a dedicated stereo amp too (allbeit an old one).

6. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whoops - read the thread properly - I can't speak for the Azur phono stage, but I would still stay clear of NAD. Van you try Azur against Project? Richer have a no-quibble returns policy - and if they don't sell the project there are some other deealers that would take them back. I wouldn't focus on the cost too much, and wouldn't rely on specs or reviews, as listening to your vinyl and feeling it isn't sounding right will lead to premature upgrading and more expense - like it did for me. I wouldn't worry too much about the MC upgrade path either. You can get a high output MC that will work on a MM stage, but really if you were going down that route you will be spending enough to justify a more sophisticated phono stage to match.

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    I listened to the first prototype of the Azur phono stage on Friday and was pretty impressed for £30 (MM only). It looks like a baby Azur amp and has great potential. The £60 MM-MC version could be a real star.

I'm currently seeking a price on the pro-ject Valve phono box though :suicide:

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like to add that the Nad PP2 has never caused a problem for me and compares and exceeds the project to my taste. Is there a pssibility that the Nad that sounded bad was simply faulty>?

9. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes - it could have been faulty, I had read good stuff about it. But it may have been that i was used to a brighter sound, maybe