Cambridge Audio Minx Min 22's as front height speakers

Cinemaholic

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first post here. Am so glad to have found this forum and find myself regularly browsing and absorbing all the knowledge here in my spare time!

I am thinking of getting Min 22's as front height speakers and will be fixing them to the wall, facing the MLP. Currently have Onkyo 410's as upfiring atmos speakers on corner shelves (flat ceiling, speakers in top third of room height) but they don't seem to make much noticeable difference to my sound.

I am currently running a 5.1.2 setup with black Cambridge Min 22's for centre, front left and front right with Min 21's as rear surrounds. Am using a Denon Avr-x2200w receiver. Onkyo 410's as stated earlier for atmos.

My question is....should I get the Min 12's instead or are the Min 22's better for my purpose? My concern is that the 12's may be too underpowered? Have been preparing wifey for this and still working on the SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor). About 90% there.... 😉

Viewing/hearing distance from tv is about 12 - 13 feet.

Thank you

I use the Min 22's and they work very well albeit still a little small. It does depend on the size of room and other speakers in the system but personally I think the Min 12s will be too small

I use the Min 22's and they work very well albeit still a little small. It does depend on the size of room and other speakers in the system but personally I think the Min 12s will be too small
Thank you. That's what I was thinking too so good to know.

Any tips regarding wall installation placement in an L shaped open lounge where these will be wall mounted towards the short end of the L, above the tv? What I needed help with was whether these should go in the top right and left corner, or whether I should leave about a foot from the side walls and ceiling to avoid any sound bouncing off the walls. Am going to be installing using BT 332 wall mounts which allow multi-directional swivel.

Thanks

You can use the Minx brackets as they allow same swivel. Here is members 12s as front heights, if you can afford the 22s then pick them over 12s.

img_0299-jpg.950103

You can use the Minx brackets as they allow same swivel. Here is members 12s as front heights, if you can afford the 22s then pick them over 12s.
Thank you so much! You have saved me from ordering the BT 332 mounts which had mixed reviews👍. Have looked up the Minx brackets and they seem perfect. Will they give me enough swivel with the 22's attached?

To be fair, the Minx 400M brackets were recommended to me over the phone by Richer Sounds when I was ordering the Minx 22's but when I said that I need them to have up/down and left/right swivel, the guy then recommended the BT332 ones.

Luckily, I did not include the brackets in my order as I wanted to do more research and am glad I held off.

Have ordered a Sony 85 inch tv which led to me ordering a bespoke tv table as I couldn't find any in a size I wanted, which then led to me wanting to make changes to my audio system.....the fun (and hours of research) never stops!

One more question, I am using QED silver anniversary cable for my current setup and still have a lot left over in the spool from when I first set up my speakers several years ago. I was toying with the idea of getting a micro cable for the front height speakers as I want to go minimalistic but then that will be a mismatch from the QED I am using right now. Cable will be concealed in ducting of course and be running up along the corner of the wall but I want to use as thin ducting as possible. Is it recommended to stick with the same cable as the rest of my system or ok to use a micro cable?

Thank you

That is good point, i don`t know does it allow enough swivel with the larger 22s. I had 10s and those brackets. Maybe you should ask if any owner of 22s with those brackets can help you, post here:

I don´t believe you will notice any difference with the cable so feel free to buy the QED Micro if it works better for you. You only need it short amount so it will be fine. Forum advertiser has lowest price for it:

That is good point, i don`t know does it allow enough swivel with the larger 22s. I had 10s and those brackets. Maybe you should ask if any owner of 22s with those brackets can help you, post here:

I don´t believe you will notice any difference with the cable so feel free to buy the QED Micro if it works better for you. You only need it short amount so it will be fine. Forum advertiser has lowest price for it:
Ok, thank you on both counts.

The bracket only swivels one way on the 22s, back and forth if on the ceiling. Not left to right if that makes sense

I see...maybe that's why the Richer Sounds guy told me to buy the BT 332 bracket then. That's helpful to know, thanks for that.

I can still put up the speakers either vertically or horizontally and there is no restriction on that right? Only restriction will be that i can only tilt them up to down?

I see...maybe that's why the Richer Sounds guy told me to buy the BT 332 bracket then. That's helpful to know, thanks for that.

I can still put up the speakers either vertically or horizontally and there is no restriction on that right? Only restriction will be that i can only tilt them up to down?
Correct

These small 12 look perfect for what i need @Gasp3621 how do they work with such other big speakers?

That picture was not from my system. There is lot of old threads if you dig around about using Minx 12 as atmos heights and most people are quite happy what they add. Naturally they are bought due to size/looks to keep wife happy and still great to have that type of option to achieve atmos in living room without making it look horrible. If one has larger speakers then i would personally look something like Dali Alteco C-1 / MA Bronze AMS / SVS Prime Elevation for the height channels assuming no limitations with size. What has been intresting to notice is that most members prefer the front heights over the atmos enabled ceiling bouncers. The effect is different naturally.

If i had to go with Minxes i would mount them on ceiling and hide the wires with trunking. You would have the effects coming directly from ceiling where they suppose to come in first place, right?!

c7822775_CameraZOOM-20130421110635918.jpeg

I had no idea how widespread SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor) was. This forum has opened my eyes...wow!

I was very very close to buying a set of 4 x Min22's on eBay to use as ceiling-height-wall-mounted atmos speakers, they seem like a very good option & the size seems perfect. There's 3D printed extensions for the mounts so you can get more swivel.

I ended up ordering the Monitor Audio MASS satellites instead (£75ea on Amazon) - they're slightly larger, but I figured the size won't matter once they're mounted anyway :) They work out to be half the price of buying new Min22's here.

Still waiting on them to arrive! But the MASS has a generic 1/4" thread, so I'm planning to use a cheap generic speaker bracket with a 1/4" bolt.

The Volgels VLB500 is similar & would work the same with the Min's, but you'd need to buy the right size & length bolt.

I was very very close to buying a set of 4 x Min22's on eBay to use as ceiling-height-wall-mounted atmos speakers, they seem like a very good option & the size seems perfect. There's 3D printed extensions for the mounts so you can get more swivel.

I ended up ordering the Monitor Audio MASS satellites instead (£75ea on Amazon) - they're slightly larger, but I figured the size won't matter once they're mounted anyway :) They work out to be half the price of buying new Min22's here.
Thanks for the info, good luck with setting them up and let us know how they sound. What are you running for the rest of your system?

I already have a Cambridge Audio system in place so don't want to break up the set with a different brand.

Would have liked to get the Min 21's as they are smaller than the 22's but am giving priority to the size as I don't want to be underwhelmed and regret it later!

What are you running for the rest of your system?
See sig 😎 (rotate phone to landscape if on mobile)

I’ll have a play with them as side surrounds and Dolby heights initially, as I won’t have an Atmos receiver until at least January (waiting on the Onkyo RZ50)

im so torn about adding these, does a height channel make a difference, as is spending £160 worth on it?

stalker much :) joking

its a denon 1600h with a wharefdale dx2 package, budget setup i know.

id happily add another wharfedale satellite but they only have key hole wall mounts and no real brackets

Attachments

• 20211113_225827.jpg
    20211113_225827.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 255
Haha, yes, I want to know what you have for breakfast. Seriously though, the history is a good way of helping to answer someone's question.

As you are genuinely asking for people's opinion then I'll answer even though you won't like my answer!

Yes, I think you would see an effects benefit from some small height speakers.

However, in my opinion, you would see a much more beneficial overall enjoyment from your system by investing that money into the 5.1 you already have.

I've never heard that speaker package and I don't know your room size but I would guess that a new subwoofer could be, for example, a better investment of your cash.

Look at it in simple money terms. You've spent £350 on 5 speakers and a subwoofer. You are considering spending nearly half that amount on two speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom