Cambridge Audio Minx Min 22's as front height speakers

D

Deleted member 323322

thanks for the reply,

i dont think id get away with the extra bass from a sub. and this is why im torn on the heights,

Dobbyisfree

thanks for the reply,

i dont think id get away with the extra bass from a sub. and this is why im torn on the heights,

OK. Last comment from me then sorry... having a better sub isn't necessarily about "extra bass" it's about the quality of bass, the frequency range of the bass, how dynamic it is and how well it integrates with the other speakers.

But I'll shut up now and give someone else the chance to comment 🤣 Maybe while you are eating your porridge with a spoonful of blackcurrant jam in. 🤣

Carrera1963

Yes, I think you would see an effects benefit from some small height speakers.

However, in my opinion, you would see a much more beneficial overall enjoyment from your system by investing that money into the 5.1 you already have.
Great point - the DX2 look okay, but upgrading either the sub or the L+R would have the biggest impact.

If your upgrade budget is only 160ish, it's not going to go very far towards either of those though :(

Sticking with Wharfedale for L+R, a 2nd hand pair of Diamond 12.2's, 12.3's or Evo's would maybe fit the budget...

Then re-use the DX2 L+R as wall-mounted-at-ceiling-height atmos top middle speakers (side walls just in front of MLP) - the keyhole mounts can be connected to 'standard' speaker brackets easily enough with an appropriate size nut+bolt.

D

Deleted member 323322

Bearing in mind there a week old 🤣

But i was thinking that, get slightly bigger lr but then i wondered if the centre wouls be overpowered by them

Budget - it wasnt so much i only had £150, it was moreis that too much for such a small speaker, as i see mixed reviews on the 12s, i was looking at the 12, purely from a happy wife point of view, and not having to big of a speaker up there.

Its a mine field as some say heights are a pointless expense, and others say there a revelation 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷

Carrera1963

Its a mine field as some say heights are a pointless expense, and others say there a revelation 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷
I'm still in the planning stage too - my height speakers have shipped & my Atmos-capable AVR hasn't been ordered yet 😊

If you're happy with the DX2 and want to add heights, then anything small-ish should do the job. Depending on where you're going to mount them, the Min12's are probably okay, but Min22's likely better. Not sure what the radiation pattern for the Min22's is like, but it's possible they could be mounted horizontally rather than vertically.

I looked at both Min's, then ordered a pair of MASS satellites for £140 - they're bigger & should allow for a lower crossover setting. If they're good, I'll get another pair for .4, and maybe even replace my side surrounds with them too.

D

Deleted member 323322

I too looked at the mass.

Ive seen a set of Q Acoustics 3010i and the 3020 which would fit the bill

Cheesychopstix

Standard Member
Hi all, so I finally got everything delivered and set up.

Thats my new 85 inch Sony with CA Min 22's as height speakers replacing my Onkyo 410 upfiring speakers which were previously on bookshelves. Have a 7.1 config now which replaces my 5.1.2 one and must say it sounds a helluva lot better!

Had to order a custom tv table for the tv as I couldn't find anything big enough for my needs online to my liking. Took a month to get made and delivered as per my specs but am very happy with it.

Question: I have set up the height speakers as front heights in the Denon receiver. Watched Black Widow last night and noticed that Denon displayed DD Atmos on the display panel. When watching content encoded in Atmos, will the receiver handle the sound ok knowing that I have not set up my AVR for Atmos and instead, am running height configuration instead? May be a very basic question but am unsure so would appreciate any responses. Thank you

20211206_193118.jpg

gibbsy

Question: I have set up the height speakers as front heights in the Denon receiver. Watched Black Widow last night and noticed that Denon displayed DD Atmos on the display panel. When watching content encoded in Atmos, will the receiver handle the sound ok knowing that I have not set up my AVR for Atmos and instead, am running height configuration instead? May be a very basic question but am unsure so would appreciate any responses. Thank you
If you have configured the Denon to have Height speakers then that is the correct setting for Atmos. Atmos is only actually mentioned when dealing with upfiring speakers and would have been Dolby Sp. Going by what you say then you have indeed correctly configured the Denon and that is being confirmed by the display.

Cheesychopstix

Standard Member
If you have configured the Denon to have Height speakers then that is the correct setting for Atmos. Atmos is only actually mentioned when dealing with upfiring speakers and would have been Dolby Sp. Going by what you say then you have indeed correctly configured the Denon and that is being confirmed by the display.
Thank you. Was hoping to hear that because I really wanted to be done with setting up everything! Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom