Cambridge audio minx 22 or JBL Control 1 Pro for Atmos

actionjackson79

Standard Member
Im in the process of preparing for a long overdue atmos update and have shortlisted these speakers for atmos duties in 4 x ceiling mounted configuration. I have a big room to fill and compliment a Monitor Audio GR 5.1 setup I'm very happy with.

Cost and appearance to one side, which model is going to perform this task best for me? I have read all the threads on both these speakers for atmos and both appear competent. Thanks for your suggestions.

actionjackson79

Standard Member
Thanks. Mounting is going to be straightforward, going on timber beams and speaker cables were run into position about 2 years ago.

I also wonder if the minx deliver the volumes needed for atmos in a big room, but all the reviews claim they are superb and surprising.

actionjackson79

Standard Member
JBLs come with handy adjustable wall mounts, I have a pair in the garage and they do a good job. I think I'll go this route.

The minx are attractive speakers for above head in a living room. Normally I would go and audition but that's not possible right now...

password1

If you already have the JBLs i wouldn't waste your money on a pair of minx 22, they're expensive for what they are. they work well as effects many people on this forum use them as heights/atmos but not great for anything else as they need to be high passed very high.

actionjackson79

Standard Member
Evening. I have been busy installing 4 x JBL Control 1 Pro for atmos duties.
Screenshot_2021-02-28_234545.jpg

Screenshot_2021-02-28_234828.jpg

Screenshot_2021-02-28_234927.jpg

As you can see the position of my current side surrounds are high and beyond 110° to 120° recommended by dolby. My room layout is challenging to say the least, can I get away with simply lowering the sides or do I need to bring them forward also?

The surrounds are MA Silvers in Bipole configuration, do I need to replace them with directs when running atmos?

Separately I have considered adding rear surrounds for a 7.1.4 setup but this will require significant work to run extra speaker cables.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom