Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch

Does the MT automatically lower volume by half after you connect them and initially start playing music? Or is it just me? I feel like I've seen that issue mentioned before somewhere..

Hi,

I haven't had any of the usual issues with my Melomania Touches - other than not getting on with the silicone buds supplied. Like others, I find them slowly working loose and breaking the seal when smiling/talking.

I copied Foussin's idea and hacked some Comply T200s replacement foam buds and they work great, Much more secure and consistent bass response.

I modified them slightly differently. Rather than cutting the buds, I pushed the internal tube up and out of the back of the bud (pushing from the ear end). The tube is glued to the foam but can be slowly separated using fingernails. Once there's a decent amount revealed, I used nail scissors to cut the tube down in size.

I experimented with the amount to remove (I bought a set of large buds as I used the large CA silicones) so that they would fit in the case properly. For these, I had to cut away bout 75% of the tube - just leaving about 2mm remaining.

Comparing CA and T200s

20210410_223424.jpg

With the internal tube cut away:

20210410_223627.jpg

Close-up

20210410_223948.jpg

Forcing the tube out of the back of the bud for cutting:

20210410_224242.jpg

Installed:

20210410_224950.jpg

I know English people with lesser English skills.
Good job!

Comply are now listing the TrueGrip TW-200-A as being compatible with the Melomania Touch - has anyone tried them?

New firmware update: version 1.4.2.

Release notes for this firmware:
1) Auto-connect is now quicker, at around 6 seconds.
2) Optimised power-off consistency when the earphones are placed in the charging case.
3) Earphones no longer automatically power-off after 60 minutes of use on voice calls on a Windows 10 laptop/PC.
4) The current Audio Mode is now correctly displayed in the Melomania App.
5) During a system reset the earphones return to the previous peer connection, after 60 seconds, if a new connection is not found.
6) System reset optimised.

So here's a follow up on my review after 3,5 months of use ...

First: I still like the sound. :)

Connecting is still a pain. The left is connecting. I have to manually power on the right when connected and then it works ... For now ...

The left speaker grill just fell of. Don't know where it is. Now dirt is getting in easy ...

The phone often is still connected when the monitors are in the case.

Charging is not allways ok ...

I just got the Melomania Touch earbuds and one will not power up - automatically or manually. The red glow in the case is bright on the left and much dimmer for the right. So it's connected but the right Never will flash white or blue and doesn't show up in the bluetooth device list. I have reset them to original, reloaded the app, restarted the phone, charged with and without usb connected (all 5 lights are lit) and it just seems dead other than the faint red glow in the charger. Any suggestions?

You have no option other than to return them as faulty.

That's my guess too. Just figured, with so many comments about connectivity quirks, it was worth running it by some experts for confirmation or to see if I was missing something. I have a request in with their tech support who I'm guessing will say the same thing. thx.

Mine did this al
I just got the Melomania Touch earbuds and one will not power up - automatically or manually. The red glow in the case is bright on the left and much dimmer for the right. So it's connected but the right Never will flash white or blue and doesn't show up in the bluetooth device list. I have reset them to original, reloaded the app, restarted the phone, charged with and without usb connected (all 5 lights are lit) and it just seems dead other than the faint red glow in the charger. Any suggestions?
I also encountered this issue Did you try a hard reset? Place the buds in the case and press down hard for 20 seconds or so. They should flash white and run through the reset cycle.
Having said that, mine intermittently reset themselves!
Great sound but sort the software out CA!

Just tried that again. the instructions I was said the reset was 10+ seconds and I'd tried that unsuccessfully. Tried again at 20+ seconds - the good one flashed white for a while, then went dark and then came back to its previous state. The bad one - red light went dark and it never flashed. Now back to the way it was - left connects just fine, the right never flashes white or shows up on bluetooth list and the connected one never seems to find it. Thanks for the advice tho.

Hi
I wrote to Comply support, here's their answer, fyi

Question :
The foams TrueGrip™ TW-200-A are described to be compatible with cambridge audio melomania touch earbuds. Can you confirm that once installed, the charging process will be ok, and the charging box will close easily ?

Answer :
Yes, any of the tips that we recommend via our Fit Finder have been rigorously tested, and only marked compatible after many tests. These tips will be 100% compatible with your earbuds.

I will give them a try

Hi
I wrote to Comply support, here's their answer, fyi

Question :
The foams TrueGrip™ TW-200-A are described to be compatible with cambridge audio melomania touch earbuds. Can you confirm that once installed, the charging process will be ok, and the charging box will close easily ?

Answer :
Yes, any of the tips that we recommend via our Fit Finder have been rigorously tested, and only marked compatible after many tests. These tips will be 100% compatible with your earbuds.

I will give them a try
I’m using these (large size) and having no trouble at all charging.

I’m using these (large size) and having no trouble at all charging.
Do the Comply sizes match the CA ones i.e. small in Comply is the same as small in CA. I know the Comply site says to get the same size as the silicone ones you use but, you know!

Any thoughts on the latest firmware update? Looks like they switched out Bass Boost for 'Immersive' and fixed a bunch of bugs.

I've just got some TrueGrip™ TW-200-A - size large - and can also confirm they fit in the charger fine. The sound is really good too, just as it should have been from CA.

I have had these earbuds for quite a few months now and I think the firmware issues have been mostly sorted. I had a problem where one earbud wouldn't disconnect properly last week but that was easily fixed just by loading up the Melomania app on my phone. Other than that they've been fine for a while.

Overall I'm pretty happy 8/10.

I've just got some TrueGrip™ TW-200-A - size large - and can also confirm they fit in the charger fine. The sound is really good too, just as it should have been from CA.

I have had these earbuds for quite a few months now and I think the firmware issues have been mostly sorted. I had a problem where one earbud wouldn't disconnect properly last week but that was easily fixed just by loading up the Melomania app on my phone. Other than that they've been fine for a while.

Did you just get same size in Truegrip as in the CA ones?

I hadn't been using the CA rubber tips, instead I was using a pair of foam tips from another set of earbuds that I had to manually attach each time.

But before I ordered the foam tips I did check that the CA large rubber tips fitted my ears, and then ordered the large Truegrip tips accordingly. It was a risk but I figured that 'too big and a bit squashed' is better than 'too small and a bit loose'

For me, the large fit nicely.

I just got the Melomania Touch and, while I managed to connect them to my Moto G8 Power with a bit of faff, I'm unable to connect them to my Shanling M6. It just says it's connected, then that it's disconnected, to and fro for a bit, and that's it. The Shanling runs only Android 7.1.1, and I wonder if that has something to do with it. CA seem baffled and say they're looking into it. Is this problem familiar to anyone?

I recently purchased these with good deal that they're offering.

I had been using the original melomania's, however I decided to give these a go and see if I liked them as the mic on the original melomania isn't good at all.

Unfortunately, I'm going to return them as I just can't get on with the sound, I tried them with foam tips and that dramatically improved the sound to me, however, I'm not willing to reattach a tip every time I want to use them or pay an extra 20 on foam ear tips from a third party vendor.

I may just go for the melomania 1+ as I think they may be a happy medium, but I'd love something with a better mic

I read here and there that they got broken easily, do you agree ?

Can anybody answer this?

Why are the Melomania 1s dearer than the Touch?
I thought the Touch were an upgrade!

Can anybody answer this?

Why are the Melomania 1s dearer than the Touch?
I thought the Touch were an upgrade!
After i had the same problems (charging issues with one bud) with multiple sets of the Touch i asked CA if i could have the 1+ instead and they agreed and now finally i have a working set of buds from them.
The sound (for some genres) and fit was slightly better on the Touch but it's just not worth the trouble. CA seem aware of the fact that there are many units with this problem, the customer service definitely knows. I suspect this is part of the reason behind it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom