Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch

Slow red flashing means charging.
If your right bud wouldn't respond at all then it might not be powered on.
Touch for 2 seconds should turn it on. If it doesn't turn on it might be out of power because it hasn't been charging.

I have the melomania 1s and they have often had connection issues , but when they work they do sound really good.
I also have the Air pod pros and I think the C and A pair beat them on sound, but what I would say about the air pods is they never ever fail to connect you take them out of the case and they just work!
I really fancy the new Melonania touch but I don’t need connection issues again.

I never had a single connection issue with the Sony wf-1000xm3 either. The only issue I have with the Sony is that they are massive. I don't like their lack of ipx4 either. The Touch had everything I wanted but was missing in the Sony (small size, ipx4 water resistant) but this connection problem is giving me hell.

I am conflicted between Sony and giving Touch time to get it right. But I feel like this is inexcusable for 150$

Slow red flashing means charging.
If your right bud wouldn't respond at all then it might not be powered on.
Touch for 2 seconds should turn it on. If it doesn't turn on it might be out of power because it hasn't been charging.

That's what I'm thinking after reading your post. I thought it was connection issue but perhaps it's also a charging issue. Do both earbuds light up red when charging?

Do both earbuds light up red when charging?
If the bud is charging it should be slowly flashing red. If it is not charging it could be flashing white or blue as it might be trying to connect. Or it could have no light. Also, no light if fully charged.
So, no light could mean not charging or fully charged.

I was going to cave and order a set, despite what I wrote in my last post. Think I'll wait now though, having read the last 4 pages. :D

For what it's worth, I don't recall having any connection issues with my 1's when I had them. It was only ever the fit that I couldn't live with.

Paul

I bought them, after reading all people have problem with connectivity I decided to try them myself and if I will have the same problems it's easy to return them. I just want to hear how they sound. I read lots of reviews and everyone is praising the sound. Especially one review on you tube with audio examples changed my mind and I decided to try them.

If the bud is charging it should be slowly flashing red. If it is not charging it could be flashing white or blue as it might be trying to connect. Or it could have no light. Also, no light if fully charged.
So, no light could mean not charging or fully charged.

Right bud only lights up sometimes but usually it has no light. I have to often jiggle it around Inside the case to get it to light up. If I manually turn it on, it automatically turns off after like 30 seconds. I'm pretty sure the right bud is not charged and is not charging.

Left bud works perfectly every single time and shows up in app as 100% charged. Right one doesn't show up in app.

I have almost exactly this problem, but with the left; the right one always starts charging fine. Except with mine, the left seems to have dropped in properly and often just doesn't make that connection, even with a wiggle and press (sometimes makes partial contact and the light flickers, but charging doesn't start). To rectify this I keep having to take the left one out and drop it in again multiple times, it's so unreliable I've sent them back.

Do you have the same problem with having to lift it out and drop in again, and the flickering, or does yours always start charging if you just nudge it down properly?
If I nudge it down properly it usually starts charging but not always.
Also, once the case is closed I find that the right bud will often stop charging so it must be moving in the socket. I can tell because when they do connect to Bluetooth the app will show the left bud fully charged but the right bud not, and they've both been in the case for the same amount of time.

It's weekend so I'm still thinking about it but this could be the last straw for me. If there are physical issues with the case no amount of firmware updates will fix it.

Very disappointed.
In which case we have the exact same issue, but with opposite buds. I feel completely the same about it as a physical issue. Should be getting an exchange pair when mine arrive back at the warehouse next week, but I'd definitely return them. Talk to support about it and I'm sure they'll tell you the same as they told me.

Glad I haven't been experiencing connection drop outs but this is just as bad, and seemingly not fixable with a firmware update. I have a theory that the pins are making contact on the whole, but the charging just doesn't trigger properly. Again, real shame but I'd definitely send them back (hate how time-consuming the process is these days with deliveries).

Yup, that conversation is exactly relevant to my issue too. I just went through rest of the thread, and same issue pops up for several others. I now am starting to think this is a hardware issue with charging/case rather than connection issue that firmware update can fix. I'm on the verge of giving up & returning mine.

If anyone has figured out a workaround, I would be curious to know.

Yup, that conversation is exactly relevant to my issue too. I just went through rest of the thread, and same issue pops up for several others. I now am starting to think this is a hardware issue with charging/case rather than connection issue that firmware update can fix. I'm on the verge of giving up & returning mine.

If anyone has figured out a workaround, I would be curious to know.

It’s so disappointing if the problem is as fundamental as that. I should be getting an exchange pair in a week’s time and I’ll see if it has the same problem. Hopefully CA are still reading this thread, I know that someone said they were.

I can’t believe they could ship a product with this kind of issue, it’s insane.

Still weird that my charging difficulty is with the left and others are with the right.

I get very little connection problems as I have a workaround routine.

Always remove the earbud from the case that-has connection to the phone first. In my case the left followed by the right. The left will flash white and connect to the phone followed by the right but not shown as connected which is correct. When I finish using them replace them in the case and both flash red for charging. If don’t flash red they are not seated correctly so you mayneed to jiggle as this will be down to any change in bud or tip change.
Works for me every time.

Always remove the earbud from the case that-has connection to the phone first. In my case the left followed by the right. The left will flash white and connect to the phone followed by the right but not shown as connected which is correct. When I finish using them replace them in the case and both flash red for charging. If don’t flash red they are not seated correctly so you mayneed to jiggle as this will be down to any change in bud or tip change.
Works for me every time.
I don't think we should need a workaround for something costing this much.
Anyway, that was the routine I ended up with and it was the best way I found to use them.
However, it revealed that the right bud never seated properly so I tried putting it in the case without a wing or bud on it and it STILL didn't seat properly unless pushed down. Even then it would unseat itself if the case was moved around too much.
That was the last straw as that cannot be fixed by a firmware update.

Hey. This is my first post in this thread but I have been following it as I'm extremely interested in buying the CA Melomania touch.

I have a couple questions to anyone who has got them. Please let me know if you have the latest firmware available.

1.) Are the connection issues a deal breaker? Is it only the occasional reset of the buds to get them to connect? Or is it multiple times a day to get them to connect?
Anyone else had the issues with charging where the right (or left) don't charge. Do you think this is the reason why they need a reset.

2.) Did you come to this thread because there was an issue? The reason for this is I'm trying to find if there may be a slight bias. As in people without issues are not going to search for a thread if you get what I mean.

Thanks.

Hey. This is my first post in this thread but I have been following it as I'm extremely interested in buying the CA Melomania touch.

I have a couple questions to anyone who has got them. Please let me know if you have the latest firmware available.

1.) Are the connection issues a deal breaker? Is it only the occasional reset of the buds to get them to connect? Or is it multiple times a day to get them to connect?
Anyone else had the issues with charging where the right (or left) don't charge. Do you think this is the reason why they need a reset.

2.) Did you come to this thread because there was an issue? The reason for this is I'm trying to find if there may be a slight bias. As in people without issues are not going to search for a thread if you get what I mean.

Thanks.
I started the thread as a first adopter to get users feedback over time and that’s what it’s there for good or bad. I’m happy with mine. They sit fine drawn in by the magnet but I always push them anyway until I see the red charging light so no connection issues for me as I withdraw them from the case, wait for them to connect and off I go.
Wanted good sound quality with the option to use for gym hence others with no tips I can’t use and the AirPods hurt my ears from the hard finish.

Firmware v1.8 I think. The latest available which did update easily.
I pre-ordered them because the spec and price looked good and CA are British and have a good reputation.
I had connection problems straight away. Googled and found the What HiFi review and this forum.
Connection problems for me we're persistent. Not every time but certainly 1 in 3. I really wanted them to be great but I've given in and am returning them.
Now looking at Jabra 75t......

Works for me every time.
That was working for me, until last night. I thought I'd leave them in the case and see what happened once left for a while. Nothing, just refuse to connect.

Thanks.
I've had 3 pairs of wireless buds from Cambridge. All sent back. 100% failure rate, and despite being over a 10month period, exactly the same issues.

From reading this thread, various posters have had connection issues, case/charging issues/app issues. And the first thing you see when you open the box and remove the charging case? A bright yellow card explaining how to reset in event of a problem, which to me, suggests they knew about the issues beforehand.

Thanks.
For me its not a deal breaker. I had a couple of issues at first but have learned how to get around them. These can be fixed with a software update. The question is whether you can buy buds at a similar price with the same sound quality. From what I can gather you would have to be spending over £200 to achieve this.

From Cambridge Audio:

"Dear owner,

Thank you for purchasing our Melomania Touch earphones. We’re excited that you are one of the first to own them.

We’re also completely committed to your satisfaction - it’s extremely important to us that you enjoy these earphones, so we constantly seek feedback on what can be improved, and we’re here should you need any help.

Since the launch of Melomania Touch we’ve become aware of a few things that we could have done better and apologise if your user experience has been less than perfect. Learning from initial feedback, we have come up with some tips which may ease possible frustration.

To improve your product as time goes on, we will make regular firmware updates, so check the Melomania App and update your firmware to enjoy these ongoing enhancements and bug fixes. For some users, updating firmware or changing Audio Mode can require one or more attempts if the Bluetooth connection isn’t completely stable. If this happens, check the earphones are still connected in your phone’s Bluetooth settings and try again. We’re actively working on a firmware fix that will ensure a seamless experience first time, every time.

Please charge your earphones via a USB power source for at least 20 mins before using them.

It may take a few seconds to connect fully, so if you feel the need to press “Refresh” on the app it may help to wait a little.

Also, and importantly, we want to clarify the procedure for properly pairing Melomania Touch. The way our True Wireless technology works means that both earbuds should appear in your Bluetooth device list, but this isn’t obvious unless you know about it. We suggest following these steps to be sure:

1. Take the earbuds out of the charging case and ensure they are powered on. If not, touch the outer surface until they turn on (the voice prompt will say “Power on” and the LED will flash white).
  2. Touch and keep your finger on the outer surface of both earphones, one at a time is fine, until they are waiting to pair (the voice prompt will say “Waiting to pair” and the LED will flash blue and white alternately).
  3. Look for available Bluetooth devices on your phone or laptop and you’ll see Melomania Touch L and Melomania Touch R. Select either of these and they should pair and connect. You’ll then see a pop-up message asking you to pair the other earphone, accept this.
  4. Now, in your Bluetooth device list, you will see one Melomania earphone connected and the list of paired devices.
  5. You can now use the Melomania App to further customise your listening experience.

If you encounter any hiccups, please place the earbuds back in the case for a few seconds, and take them back out. This allows them to reset their connection (just be patient for a few seconds while they reconnect fully).

Again, thank you for choosing Cambridge Audio. We hope you enjoy your new earphones and are here to help, should you need us, please see our Melo FAQs here or contact us at [email protected]. "

Thanks.

Well, I realized they were not charging so I began doing exactly what @RAINS posted:
"Always remove the earbud from the case that-has connection to the phone first. In my case the left followed by the right. The left will flash white and connect to the phone followed by the right but not shown as connected which is correct. When I finish using them replace them in the case and both flash red for charging. If don’t flash red they are not seated correctly so you mayneed to jiggle as this will be down to any change in bud or tip change."
I will try that for a few days to see how it goes.

It's a common issue. I actually am a poster from head-fi, and people there (including me) were having same issue so I was looking for solutions. That's how I found avforums/this thread. I always thought it was a connection issue, but my opinion has been shifting since yesterday into possibly a charging/case issue, not connection.

For me its not a deal breaker. I had a couple of issues at first but have learned how to get around them. These can be fixed with a software update. The question is whether you can buy buds at a similar price with the same sound quality. From what I can gather you would have to be spending over £200 to achieve this.

I don't think you can fix the charging issue with firmware. I think it is a case issue where charging does not start easily. For instance, I have the Sony wf-1000xm3 and you just throw In earbud, which snaps into place without doing any jiggling around to get the charging to start. Touch rarely starts charging until you push it around & mess with it. It seems to be more for the right earbud than left.

Connection I don't think is the issue. It connects well & easily as long as you take out the paired earbud first. It is a stable connection too.

Last edited:
Well, I realized they were not charging so I began doing exactly what @RAINS posted:
"Always remove the earbud from the case that-has connection to the phone first. In my case the left followed by the right. The left will flash white and connect to the phone followed by the right but not shown as connected which is correct. When I finish using them replace them in the case and both flash red for charging. If don’t flash red they are not seated correctly so you mayneed to jiggle as this will be down to any change in bud or tip change."
I will try that for a few days to see how it goes.

It's a common issue. I actually am a poster from head-fi, and people there (including me) were having same issue so I was looking for solutions. That's how I found avforums/this thread. I always thought it was a connection issue, but my opinion has been shifting since yesterday into possibly a charging/case issue, not connection.

I don't think you can fix the charging issue with firmware. I think it is a case issue where charging does not start easily. For instance, I have the Sony wf-1000xm3 and you just throw In earbud, which snaps into place without doing any jiggling around to get the charging to start. Touch rarely starts charging until you push it around & mess with it. It seems to be more for the right earbud than left.

Connection I don't think is the issue. It connects well & easily as long as you take out the paired earbud first. It is a stable connection too.
Since posting that yesterday I had a charging issue! The left seemed to be charging when I put it in the case but when I came to use them in the evening it only had 3%. I agree in that i can't see how that can be fixed from a firmware update, it just seems to be a fit issue.

Since posting that yesterday I had a charging issue! The left seemed to be charging when I put it in the case but when I came to use them in the evening it only had 3%. I agree in that i can't see how that can be fixed from a firmware update, it just seems to be a fit issue.
Yeah I’m gonna try and change my exchange to a refund. Such a shame.

Just to an observation - the charging issue reported by some, could well be down to a manufacturing issue, present in a batch of Touch's, that CA aren't aware of. That being the case, as with any other issue experienced, it's imperative that affected users contact CA and report it. That gives them the best chance of fixing the issue and of us getting the product we thing we're getting.

Paul

I’m waiting for mine to be replaced.
In the communication from CA they state that one earbud will connect and then a prompt (pop up) will appear asking you to pair the other earbud. Has anyone had this?
When mine were working I only connected one earbud and never received a prompt to connect the second earbud?

I’m waiting for mine to be replaced.
In the communication from CA they state that one earbud will connect and then a prompt (pop up) will appear asking you to pair the other earbud. Has anyone had this?
When mine were working I only connected one earbud and never received a prompt to connect the second earbud?
I received a prompt and the left earbud still did bot connect albeit pairing. It's now in a box waiting to be returned

So they switch off after 10 mins which is my only big issue. According to this the Melomania 1 don’t
FBB8BEA5-8B99-4AED-A165-386FAC70FFEA.png

thought they would be the same.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom