Question Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 true wireless buds, anyone got them?

leef1234

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw some news on these a few weeks ago and apparently they were released last week but I can only find 1 review so far. Has anyone bought them yet?

Specs look good and I was going to get some galaxy buds until I saw these being released.

Any info greatly received

I doubt people realise these are true wireless earbuds from the thread title! TBH after the recent flurry of forum members buying the Creative Outlier Airs and some experiencing drop outs I think ppl will want more real world reviews :)

Any info greatly received
After a week of trying, I've finally managed to secure a set (from Richer Sounds). I'll post up my findings when I've used them for a bit.
I've had the Jabra Elite 65t and Creative Labs Outlier Air buds, so will be able to compare against these too.

Paul

Take a look at the new Lypertek TEVI, I've just got a sample and they are reliable with a balanced and detailed sound. Much better than most consumer tuned true wireless that are out at the moment.

Thanks Paul. Seen a few reviews coming through which look promising so looking forward to hearing your opinion.

After a week of trying, I've finally managed to secure a set (from Richer Sounds). I'll post up my findings when I've used them for a bit.
I've had the Jabra Elite 65t and Creative Labs Outlier Air buds, so will be able to compare against these too.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Seen a few reviews coming through which look promising so looking forward to hearing your opinion.
No worries. They should arrive today so I'll try and get some listening in over the weekend.

Paul

Mine arrived 5 days ago ... got them in white. All the hardware is great and the sound is truly excellent, so clear and a good soundstage and not too bassy. I have a lot of headphones, Zik 2, Sony XM2, Sennheiser HD700 and these are really really good. I’ve used them with my iPhone and my AK70 using AptX and they sound great via both. Totally amazing battery life too. But....they are going back because they only come with one set of foam in ear tips and they don’t fit my ear that well - so disappointing that they don’t come with more, I mean my partners Jaybird came with three foam sizes and three silicon, I mean how much can they cost ? I mailed Cambridge Audio to ask if standard ones would fit but they don’t because of the charging process and currently they don’t offer any other sizes.. poor. It’s a shame as the connection has been rock solid and they feel so light in the ear. I will also Add two other caveats - the microphones for using Siri I find terrible and I wish like my Sonys there was an app to adjust or tweak some of the settings.

I think I will be going for the new Sony in-ear 1000xm3 shortly as the reviews have been blinding so far but it is a shame as these get so much right.
I’d love to get the Earin ones but they’re permanently out of stock :(

nice, look forward to hearing back from you!
OK, so I've had them for coming up to two weeks now so can probably give my first impressions.

The important things, sound and fit. They sound excellent, very 'clean' with great balance, not pushing any of the ranges of response, like bass or treble. I can see why all the reviews state their exciting to listen to, because they are. Very dynamic and spacious essentially. By comparison, to me, they sound 'better' than the Jabra Elite 65t's and Creative Outlier Air.
I don't listen to a huge amount of music but have a few albums I listen to a lot and on one of them at least, there's parts I've never heard before or at least not in the way I hear them with these, to the extent that it makes me think I've not heard it before.

Now clearly what we hear is subjective but, for me, these tick the great sound quality box and I'll be keeping them for that. I expect them to get better as they get used too.

With regards to fit, I'm almost exclisively a medium, where ear tips are concerned. With these, I'm a large simply because the other tip sizes are smaller than the norm, for that particular size designation. This is echoed with the post above but, I've not read it in any of the reviews I've read, which is poor of them.
The fit is generally excellent, with good isolation although, I do adjust them fairly regularly as they get oily and just slip enough to break the seal. I've no concerns that they'd fall out though.
The sound outlet port is large at 7mm in diameter, so finding replacement tips is tricky. I've ordered a pair of SpinFit CP155's that should fit. The equivalents (CP360's) were outstanding on the Jabra's, in terms of sound and fit. So I hope the CP155's give me the same experience with the CA's. I'll try some foam tips at some point although, I find the inconsistent performance, with their degredation, annoying. I've read that Cambridge Audio will retail replacement tips at some point but, I suspect these will be of the silicone variety.

An effect of the large sound outlet port is that there's less room for the ear tip to compress, so this may effect fitment for those with narrow ear canals.

I've not had a chance to fully verify battery life yet but, subjectively, it seems to be better than the Jabra's. I'll post back up when I can give any useful information on this.

Oh and as for connection, they are rock solid and better than the Jabra's and Creatives. Those would drop out at certain points when I was walking and when I was on the tube, right next to the door when it opens or closes. The CA's don't and haven't dropped once, in any situation where you'd not expect it.

Not a full review by any stretch but, hopefully there's enough there to at least give you another opinion. And I'm very impressed with them all round and hope the SpinFit tips can solve the one everso slight issue I have, with the OE tops breaking seal after prolonged listening. It's worth mentioning, today, this hasn't been an issue.

Any questions, please shout.

Paul

I've ordered a pair of SpinFit CP155's that should fit.
They've arrived and they fit...

The equivalents (CP360's) were outstanding on the Jabra's, in terms of sound and fit. So I hope the CP155's give me the same experience with the CA's
.... And they mostly do. Definitely a better fit, with greater comfort. They give a little crack when taken out, as the seal breaks. :D The result of the better fit is that the sound improves. Worth the few £ and week and a bit wait.

Will try some foam tips at some point now.

Paul

I got the Melomania and had the same problems with fit. I usually need to use large earbud tips but even the large ones provided with the CA ones didn't seal. As a result, most of the bass disappeared in the mix.

Just like YYDeckard, I contacted CA who told me their tips were custom and the few provided were the only ones available. I just returned the Melomanias, with some regret as they really are excellent otherwise.

If I'd known Spinfits were an option, I'd have tried those first.

I'm also planning to get the Sony 1000mxs instead. I'm hoping they will be as good but with a good fit.

Honestly, CA really should take this on board and just provide a wider range of tips. How expensive could that be for them?

Ditto all the above - to be honest why would you launch a product like this without a range of decent foam and silicon tips - easy extra sales too..I have a a pair of the Xm2 over the ear Sonys so not expecting anything less than stellar from the XM3 earbuds...

I think it's because of the charging case as different sized tips prevents charging in the case. It's something all true wireless manufacturers need to work on

Well its a shame as otherwise they're hard to fault - zero connection dropouts, a great spatial, waterproof and stellar battery life.

Yeah the tip issue can be annoying with true wireless earphones and their cases. Spinfits are not too long so should fit fairly easily.

I think I’m going to try a pair. I’m generally a medium so hopefully fit should be alright.

One question I have is what is the call quality like? I’ve had a few wireless buds and generally the call quality is terrible. I think I read that there’s an extra mic for noise cancelling so they should be alright.

Anyone got any experience making calls on them?

They've arrived and they fit...

.... And they mostly do. Definitely a better fit, with greater comfort. They give a little crack when taken out, as the seal breaks. :D The result of the better fit is that the sound improves. Worth the few £ and week and a bit wait.

Will try some foam tips at some point now.

Paul

Can you still fit the Melomanias into their case with the SpinFit CP155 attached?? I've recently bought a pair of Melomanias and the only issue I have (like many others) is the fit.

Last edited:
Can you still fit the Melomanias into their case with the SpinFit CP155 attached?? I've recently bought a pair of Melomanias and the only issue I have (like many others) is the fit.
Yes you can.

Incidentally, I bought some foam tips from Amazon, that are purported to fit 5mm-7mm sound ports but, I can't get them over the Melomania's sound port. I'll persist though. These are the 'New Bee' foam tips, that cost £5.99 for 6 pairs.

Paul

I tried some INΛIRS AIR2 foam tips from Amazon which also supposedly fitted 7mm sound ports. They barely fitted over the nozzles on the Melomanias and I ended up damaging the tips trying to get them on. The large tips were also too big for the charging case so can't recommend those.

Last edited:
+1 for SpinFit CP155. I've just received some and for my ears they are much better than the standard Cambridge Audio tips.

I have the large SpinFits and they are slightly wider and longer than the large silicon tips from CA. They fit the Melomania nozzles perfectly. Isolation is excellent, my washing machine is on behind me and it barely registers. Bass is transformed due to the improved fit. The earphones themselves sit slightly farther out from my ears compared to the CA tips but still feel secure.

However, with the SpinFit tips attached I haven’t been able to get the Melomanias to charge. I think this is because the new tips are slightly longer and they don’t allow a connection with the charge point in the bottom of the case (they don’t seal magnetically either). It might only be a matter of 0.5mm or so, so I might take a craft knife to one set of the SpinFits to see if I can shave enough off to make them fit without destroying them entirely. (You might possibly get small or medium SpinFits to fit as-is but I don’t have those to test.)

Overall I’ve found a big improvement in comfort and sound, but charging is an issue.

However, with the SpinFit tips attached I haven’t been able to get the Melomanias to charge.
@bigbaddavid - others have said that the medium Spinfit CP155 *do* fit and charge in the case, so maybe try those if you can get away with them slightly smaller?

How do you find the sound from the Spinfits? More like the stock silicone or stock foam tips? The reason I ask is that I can just about get along with the fit of the large stock silicone tips, but I don't really like the sound from them. It's difficult to describe, but I find they give a slightly harsh, sibilant edge to the top end. Particularly noticeable on vocals.

However, with the stock foam tips, that completely disappears and I find the sound is *much* improved without them muddying the other frequencies either. Trouble is, I can't keep the foam tips in place - they just don't fit me properly.

The medium Spinfits are the only third party tips I've heard of that fit on the Melomania and in the charging case, so I'm interested in them - but if they sound much like the stock silicone tips, there's probably not much point in me trying them. It's possible that the characteristic of the sound that I'm looking for just comes from the denser foam material, therefore maybe all silicone tips will sound the same.

It's difficult to answer, I know, as the sound is subjective so you may not identify with what I'm saying. Thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks!

@bigbaddavid - others have said that the medium Spinfit CP155 *do* fit and charge in the case, so maybe try those if you can get away with them slightly smaller?

How do you find the sound from the Spinfits? More like the stock silicone or stock foam tips? The reason I ask is that I can just about get along with the fit of the large stock silicone tips, but I don't really like the sound from them. It's difficult to describe, but I find they give a slightly harsh, sibilant edge to the top end. Particularly noticeable on vocals.

However, with the stock foam tips, that completely disappears and I find the sound is *much* improved without them muddying the other frequencies either. Trouble is, I can't keep the foam tips in place - they just don't fit me properly.

The medium Spinfits are the only third party tips I've heard of that fit on the Melomania and in the charging case, so I'm interested in them - but if they sound much like the stock silicone tips, there's probably not much point in me trying them. It's possible that the characteristic of the sound that I'm looking for just comes from the denser foam material, therefore maybe all silicone tips will sound the same.

It's difficult to answer, I know, as the sound is subjective so you may not identify with what I'm saying. Thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks!

That is interesting about the medium SpinFits and the charging case, maybe I'll give those a try.

I would say the sound with the SpinFits is pretty similar to the stock silicon tips, perhaps slightly better balanced. It's tricky to judge as I never really found a satisfactory fit with the stock tips which meant the top end was often very pronounced. The SpinFits produce a much better bass response for my ears to the benefit of the overall sound quality.

Like you I found the foam tips the best option (when I could fit them properly), so what I’m hoping for is that Cambridge Audio release some foam tips the same size or a fraction bigger than the large silicon tips supplied.

That is interesting about the medium SpinFits and the charging case, maybe I'll give those a try.

I would say the sound with the SpinFits is pretty similar to the stock silicon tips, perhaps slightly better balanced. It's tricky to judge as I never really found a satisfactory fit with the stock tips which meant the top end was often very pronounced. The SpinFits produce a much better bass response for my ears to the benefit of the overall sound quality.

Like you I found the foam tips the best option (when I could fit them properly), so what I’m hoping for is that Cambridge Audio release some foam tips the same size or a fraction bigger than the large silicon tips supplied.
Thanks for that. @youngsyp also mentioned above that the medium Spinfit CP155 fit in the case. Like him, I also tried the New Bee foam tips, as they are meant to fit up to 7mm nozzles, but they just don't fit on the Melomanias at all, let alone fit in the case.

It's hard to describe what I don't like about the stock silicone tips. I'm listening to them now... I must have a reasonable fit, as I find the bass almost too pronounced. Don't get me wrong, the overall sound is good, but it's that 'thrashy' top-end I don't like. Hi-hats and vocals sound slightly 'hissy', 'fizzy', whatever you want to call it! Everything sounds so much more evenly balanced with the foam tips. They sound as good as some of my wired headphones with the foam tips on. It's just a shame it takes about half an hour of 'screwing' them into my head to get them to sit correctly, and then I lose the seal shortly afterwards.

By the way - I spoke with Cambridge Audio support, who tell me they are currently doing internal tests with some larger foam tips. They can't commit to when they will be available, as they have to go through a load of internal QA processes first, but larger foam tips *are* coming. How much larger, I don't know.

Anyone tried the Comply 600 series foam tips? They fit the 1More Triple Driver headphones, and I read a review of the Melomanias where the reviewer said they successfully used the tips from a pair of 1More Triple Drivers, so...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom