Cambridge Audio introduces Evo all-in-one audio system - news discussion

Looks great, integrates everything in a neat 1 box solution and should have enough oomph for most speakers. I'm sure it'll sound good to.

But £799 for the matching CD transport is a joke surely!

I really wish they would use 6.35mm headphone sockets otherwise looks pretty competitive with the NAD M10 and Naim Atom.

Me too. If you're gonna bother with one, make it a proper one.
(Something like that deserves better).
Agreed. I get that 3.5 is probably cheaper for them mass producing if it's the same as the CX series well as maybe more broadly used mass market, but this is a hif product. Also I was a little surprised the bluetooth transmitter is version 4 and not 5. Again probably a minor thing.

Agreed. I get that 3.5 is probably cheaper for them mass producing if it's the same as the CX series well as maybe more broadly used mass market, but this is a hif product. Also I was a little surprised the bluetooth transmitter is version 4 and not 5. Again probably a minor thing.
Agree, for the market segment that they are aiming this at, they should have have had BT 5 and a 6.3mm headphone jack. Aside from that it is a very complete package. I am also curious to know what the screen resolution will be as well (its just LCD not OLED).

It also would have been useful to see a photograph of the remote control as well (I understand that AV Forums just published the press release so it may not be there).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but that is one ugly device!

It also would have been useful to see a photograph of the remote control as well (I understand that AV Forums just published the press release so it may not be there).

The link to the press release has loads of photos from every angle it seems, including several of the remote

cambridge_audio_evo_detail_34.jpeg

This type of 1 box streaming amplifiers are becoming increasing prevalent & perform very well. I have always liked Cambridge Audio AVRs for their musical ability especially with M/C SACDs etc.
I would have been very interested in one of these had I not already been seduced by a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 which has turned out to be amazing value at a similar price point & a really very good stereo music maker.

I'd be interested in the EVO 150 if it had HT bypass (fixed gain) on the analog input. I cannot find any manual or info on this.

I’d like to know if the RCA and XLR Inputs are Digitised; or Passthrough!?

I find this amp quite attractive to look at, however the pricing is way off, 75wpc entry level model made in China for $2300?

I've also read that sound quality wise the CXA81 ($1200) is better, which is very disappointing.
Read here -> Cambridge Audio Evo 75 & Evo 150 All-In-One Player Review

I find this amp quite attractive to look at, however the pricing is way off, 75wpc entry level model made in China for $2300?

I've also read that sound quality wise the CXA81 ($1200) is better, which is very disappointing.

The review seems to suggest that the Evo line is aimed at a more mainstream demographic than the seasoned audiophile. This build philosophy also seems to have informed the Alva TT which features both bluetooth and a built-in phono stage with a pseudo moving coil cartridge for extra s****.

These products are for people who want to spend audiophile money for audiophile status but don't want to make the lifestyle compromises for sound fidelity. The people who want sound fidelity have already moved on to the more niche brands.

Hmm. Maybe. It's certainly possible, but it's also possible they are talking nonsense. The way they write is that they expect it to not be as good as separates, and then that's what they hear.

I'd wait for a few more reviews and ideally some measurements before writing the new systems off.

Early days yet.

Looking very good and the input selection is excellent - the MM input on EVO 150 is toping the NAD M10. Now everything depends on sound, I'll try to compare it with my Electrocompaniet ECI 80D.

Hmm. Maybe. It's certainly possible, but it's also possible they are talking nonsense. The way they write is that they expect it to not be as good as separates, and then that's what they hear.

I'd wait for a few more reviews and ideally some measurements before writing the new systems off.

Early days yet.

That's true, we need more reviews. Otherwise it looks beautiful, probably best looking all-in-one amplifier. However right now If I had the money I would get something like NAD M10 or Lyngdorf TDAI-1100.

Just received a Evo 75 yesterday - so far a bit disappointed with the software. Assorted things:
  • using KEF Q150 as speakers; music from the StreamMagic app sounds 10x better than sound from the TV (connected via digital cable). I need more time to assess the sound from it, and I'm waiting for a subwoofer to arrive.
  • Unlike the CXN v2 (which I also have), you can't browse media on a server (like I have on my NAS) - you always need to use the StreamMagic app (unless there is something I couldn't find)
  • While the screen is huge, you can't customise it that much - no clock, no screensavers, not a lot of changes on what's displayed. A missed opportunity.
  • Build quality is perfect, no complains here. Good materials, and I like they include both side panels (carbon and wood grain)
  • Not sure if the price I paid 1.7K is justified so far...
I'm hoping new firmware updates improve some of the user experience.

Does it have a sub out and if so, is there bass management (low pass filter)?

Just received a Evo 75 yesterday - so far a bit disappointed with the software. Assorted things:
  • using KEF Q150 as speakers; music from the StreamMagic app sounds 10x better than sound from the TV (connected via digital cable). I need more time to assess the sound from it, and I'm waiting for a subwoofer to arrive.
  • Unlike the CXN v2 (which I also have), you can't browse media on a server (like I have on my NAS) - you always need to use the StreamMagic app (unless there is something I couldn't find)
  • While the screen is huge, you can't customise it that much - no clock, no screensavers, not a lot of changes on what's displayed. A missed opportunity.
  • Build quality is perfect, no complains here. Good materials, and I like they include both side panels (carbon and wood grain)
  • Not sure if the price I paid 1.7K is justified so far...
I'm hoping new firmware updates improve some of the user experience.
Thats a very disappointing summary. I thought they would have done more with the screen options. Thats what I dont like about audio companies these days, their new release looks like it can do so much but when you get the device, you find that its actually very limited.

It also seems very pricey for what you get.

Just noticed that the remote has no numeric keyboard, so when you listening radio you have to pick up the phone to switch the station. A numeric keyboard really is an elementar feature, which makes the remote by 50 cent more expensive.

You have three presets on the remote.
Anything else (additional internet radio stations or even selecting which audio file to play from an audio storage/server) needs to be done from the StreamMagic app - not even from the Evo itself...

Both of them are competing with the Lyngdorf 1120.

But without Room Perfect.

And the more expensive one is competing with the Nad C268/C658. But the Nad has Dirac Live.

I hope they’re awesome instead.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom