1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio Interconnects?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by agw_01, Dec 9, 2003.

1. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I am using 2 pairs of 1m Cambridge Audio Atlantic cables within my system. One pair connects my CD player to the amp while the other pair is split into 2 separate cables. One cable connects my sub to the amp and the other connects the composite video out from my VCR to my amp. All the other cables are crappy cheap things which I have collected over the years.

I want to upgrade all the cables in my system. This is what I need...

Audio
    CD > Amp
    Tape Deck > Amp
    Amp > Tape Deck
    VCR > Amp
    Amp > VCR
    PC > Amp
    Amp > PC
    Amp > Sub

Video
    VCR > Amp
    Amp > VCR
    PC > Amp
    Amp > VCR
    Amp > TV

I've been looking at the other Cambridge cables from Richer Sounds and they all seem pretty decent. Has anyone tried and tested some of the more expensive models, and if so how did they sound? It would be pretty handy if I could get 2 metre versions, as 1m is too short to connect my computer to the amp and I don't really want to fork out a lot more money for a 5m cable which I won't need.

The Cambridge Audio Arctic is the same price as the QED Qunex 1, so what would be the best sounding cable? I'm thinking the QED. Also, does anyone know if the CA Atlantic 3.5mm is 3.5mm to 2x phono plugs, or if it is has 3.5mm plugs on both ends.

I'm using some KEF speaker cable for my fronts, which cost me £5 a metre. It has no model number on it, and just says KEF Audio (UK) High Definition Speaker Cable repeatedly printed onto the sleeve. I'm guessing that I don't need to change this just yet, as I am more than happy with the signal quality coming out of my speakers.

So what do you guys think? What cables should I get? Also, do you know any decent mid priced S-VHS cables that I can use to connect all the equipment listed in the video section above.

Sorry if this post is rambling on a bit, but I appreciate any feedback I receive.
    Thanks in advance

Andrew.

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would probably recommend a set of QED or IXOS at around £20-£25, either that or check the DIY forum and make your own, you also could check out the cables dimmy sells.

3. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the fast reply :)

Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about IXOS cables too, but I was wondering if I got 2 1m cables and used those connectors (phono socket > phono socket) to make a 2m cable, would it degrade the sound quality much?

Thanks again.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    The Silver Spirit 40 isn't half bad despite its rather weedy appearence- They haven't been completely removed from our test gear despite the delivery of rather more lavish Audioquest models. Would also recommend the Precious Metals Coppertech Alpha at £25 if you can ever find a bloody dealer.

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I wouldnt join cables together d00d, this will most likely degrade sound, ask dimmy on the forums to make you a longer cable up.

6. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

Tons of fun, do you have any links regarding suppliers for that Coppertech Alpha stuff? Sounds pretty flashy! I tried searching for the Silver Spirit 40 cables, but couldn't find anything... do you have any more information about that? Thanks.

Thanks again Crispy. I will see what dimmy has on offer :)

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    The Silver Spirit 40 is the highest spec interconnect that Cambridge still make (there was a Silver Spirit 60 but that was a bit odd) and is £50 for a 0.5m stereo pair. No real web info although I can give the Cambridge boys and girls a quick kick to see if there is any info available. Precious Metals website didn't put in an appearence during a quick search on google but typing in Coppertech Alpha will bring it up at some retailers.

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What're you talking about? I don't make cables! You've got me mixed up with somebody else...

Dimmy :laugh:.

9. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I quite like Cambridge Pacific cables I've picked up about 7 pairs on ebay over the last few months at an average price of £10 each (£30 new). I've got a Ixos and a Profigold cable (can't remeber the models but both £20ish and I can't really tell the difference between them all. Richer Sounds will loan you a box of cables for a deposit give them a try and get someone to help you blind test them.

10. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can recommend :

http://www.fillyourboots.com

I've just upgarded to 4 pairs of Ixos 1000-100 gamma studio from Quennex 2 and I'm very pleased with the result.

You might also want to have a look at their store on e-bay as I've also picked up a Vanden Hull Optocoupler 2 for £35.oo on ebay.

Regards,

Chrsi L.

11. maia

maia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What about Profigold? I'm using them, and they sound supperb :S

12. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the replies. I'll try and get a box of cables from RS for testing, but at the moment, they ain't my favourite company to deal with.

I will try and find somewhere where I can demo different Ixos, QED and Cambridge cables and see which ones I like. I'm not looking for anything top of the range, as my setup is far from high end, but I am definately going to spend a little more than £10 a metre, hehe.

Many thanks for all the replies, and maia, where did you get your cables from?

13. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a 3m ProfiGold single RCA-RCA cable from eBay to use on my sub. If it sounds alright (a bit hard to tell with sub bass, doh) then I might get a couple of stereo connections to connect the rest of my gear.

Thanks for pointing ProfiGold out though, I had never heard of them before. Also as soon as I showed a mate the link for the auction, he said... GET IT! :)

14. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking through eBay again, and saw an Ixos 1003 for £12, brand new!

Looking at how much they are in the shops (£20-£25) I'm quite pleased. Of course someone is gonna come along and say... "those cables are whack mate" :laugh:

So, should I be able to tell quite a big difference between the Cambridge and Ixos cable if listening to my CD player. I'm also going to pick up a CDP-XE570 sometime soon, unless anyone can specify other decent players?

15. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bring up this thread again, but I will have my new cables this week and am thinking whether to use my 2 pairs of Cambridge Atlantic's for my VCR audio in's and out's or to connect my tape deck to my amp.

Do you think that the Cambridge leads are a lot better than the cheapo black ones, because if so, I will probably use them for my VCR (use it more than the tape deck).

Thanks.

16. Flobs

Flobs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ok, weird to bring this thread up again but I have been playing around recently after buying an entry level home cinema receiver.
    I always considered my Cambridge audio arctic interconnection cables my best audio cables so systematically used them for my preferred connections. I needed to connect my subwoofer with something better than what came in the box so tried the Cambridge audios, unfortunately there was no improvement. This got me thinking and I tried a cable, which seemed of reasonable quality though no gold plating or anything, the result was amazing. I had lovely bass booming around my lounge.
    I went on and changed the connections of my tape deck (Oh yes I still have hundreds of tapes :( ) and CD player to my amp, I was astounded by the improvement in the bass response, agile and vibrant.
    My cambridge audios are going in the bin and am looking for some decent connection cables but as you can probably imagine I am extremely nervous of forking out around £30 for some cables that might not be any better than what I've got :(

I will just add I am getting a 'proper' subwoofer cable (I've opted for real cable E-SUB due to the blinding, there's a lot of wires bundled and WiFi signals around).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  17. Flobs

Flobs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Linked up my Sub (Yamaha YST-SW030) with Real Cable E-SUB and what a difference. Worth every penny. Sub is vibrant and full of presence. (I havent anything to compare it with really except the RCA cable that came with the sub and some RCA cables I had from my old stereo set up).
    I also got a Real Cable E-AN coaxial cable (which also gave me improvements) it is exactly the same cable and the RCA 'jacks' look exactly the same it seems only the lengths available change.
    However the E-AN coaxial is guaranteed 75 ohm yet the E-SUB hasn't any spec for 'ohmage' (just an information I'm not concerned as the resulting improvements are net).

18. Mykhailo M

Mykhailo M
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cambridge Audio cables are surely good interconnects no doubt about it. Although if you really serious about squeezing more out of your audio gear I would suggest to look at audio cables in a price range of £300 to £600 to get A VERY DICENT results. In my auditioning experience you won`t regret it. I personally use Malbru Silver and Malbru silver CX coaxial and never look back, on a tube gear the music I play, captures me emotionally, makes me stop and listen. To have this sort of experience you need to audition some good cables as well as good audio components. All these can bring more happiness in our lives. ;)