Cambridge Audio DVD99 - USB file types

rwn

Novice Member
I have a Cambridge Audio DVD99. Files show up on the USB finder list, but none play. They either just play audio (.mp4 - "video codec not supported") or get stuck at "decoding" and won't move further. I've tried DiVX and AVI but they don't seem to work either.
Is this worth pursuing, or is this just a case of it being obsolete? Opinions? Known issues?
mp3 don't show up on the list, and neither do WAV.

I'm still in the "return item" window, which may be what happens. It sounds great though, on SACD and CDs

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Kapkirk

Cambridge Players usually have very good file support (Better than most actually) and normally play many of the common file types like the following (music) mp3, wma, Flac, wav, mp4, m4a, aac, (not ogg vorbis tho) for Video the following- DIVX, MP4, AVI, MOV, AVC ,MPEG (Not WEBM, FLV, SWF, or WMV BUT You have to make sure you are in the CORRECT MENU for playing that file, ie, you must be in the Video folder on the DVD player to play video files and in the MUSIC folder to play music files. Sounds silly but many forget that.
I have the newer Cambridge CXU blu ray player and it pretty much plays any file I throw at it, Newer Cambridge players usually play the same file types as the older ones so I would expect the DVD99 to play most types.
Some DIVX Formats wont play because of the way they are encoded. DIVX is an old codec and pretty terrible anyway, newer mp4 codecs offer better picture and are better supported.
If there is a video file you really want to play and you have a computer or laptop you can download Handbrake which is free and will encode your files to mp4 so you can play them on a DVD player.
I would read the manual on line to see which codecs are actually supported for your DVD99, DIVX is actually supported by the DVD99 but I don't know which version, it goes from version 1 to version 6.
If you send it back I think you'll find it hard to find a newer player that supports DIVX, and one that sounds so good as an all round player.
Personally if you got it cheap I would hang on to it, it's superb as a DVD PLAYER and plays SACD and DVD-A which is rare these days, it's also a very competent music player and the build quality is very good. Just grab an older cheapo dvd divx player from a supermarket or ebay to play those old files on.

rwn

Novice Member
Thanks so much for the detailed reply.
From what you're saying though, I may have to assume the USB section is broken. I've tried MP4, matroska, avi, wav, mp3, aif and flac on it.
There seems to be no alternative file folder in the USB menu, but it only shows (but does not play) the video files. I don't really have need for AVI or DiVX but the manual only mentions avi, divx, and mp4 as file types. It was actually quite time-consuming locating avi and divx files to test on it. Handbrake doesn't even make AVI anymore.
You're right about the SACD and DVD-A though. One of the reasons I bought it was to play DVD-A and SACD files. Originally the Cambridge Azur I bought was gotten to play 3 discs! I have more now, but yes, that's important, and yes, it sounds great. I think it sounds better than the Azur 5400 I already have, but I'm not A-B-ing them.
If I thought I could sell the Azur, I'd keep it and take the plunge into a streaming/USB box, which will be easier to find than a disc/usb one, but for practical reasons I may need to return it.
Format obsolescence is a real pain.
I do have a query in at Cambridge as well. They're usually pretty polite even on old equipment.

Thank you again for the detailed answer.

Rick

Kapkirk

My menu system may be different, but I first have to go into the main menu , there are a selection of folders, like video, music etc.. then select the usb drive from there.
I'm very lucky with the CXU it plays MKV matroska also with no issues as well as all the others, a true multi media player, Blu ray quality is exceptional as are all the HD file formats.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom